Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batch searching word documents

Options
  • 21-12-2005 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping that some macro wiz can help me out here please. I've got a directory with multiple sub directories each containing .doc files. I would like to search every doc for a certain string, eg. "ABCxxxxEFG" and return the actual string - "ABC6767EFG" - and the name of the document it was found in. The values for x are variable/random. I've got a lot of documents so I want to avoid having to open each document and copy this value manally because it would take me some time!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kenaman

Try this utility. I just did and it seems to do what you are looking for. The report is in html, and you should be able to configure the search with a little tweaking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

A program called search and replace should do this

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Thanks for the link. Can't believe the site is blocked here in work and I need it for work stuff :rolleyes:

I'll get it at home and give it a go. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

Is there a reason you need a "code" solution or could you just use the Search functionality in the File|Open dialog within Word? (drop Tools on the Open File dialog toolbar and select Search).

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

theexis wrote:
    Is there a reason you need a "code" solution or could you just use the Search functionality in the File|Open dialog within Word? (drop Tools on the Open File dialog toolbar and select Search).

Yep, I want to stick the results in a spreadsheet. I've a lot of files so there's no way i'm gonna search and type out all the results by hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Google desktop search should do this.

Advertisement