Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do all the Xmas trees go

Options
  • 21-12-2005 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Never invested in a 'real' xmas tree so was wondering how they are disposed of and what becomes of them once the festive season is over? Obviously garbage collection refuses to collect them, but no doubt some tossers will dispose of them in a suspect manner - throwing them out of moving vehicles, dumping them in other peoples gardens - maybe some people burn them... I dunno... Do they get recycled into paper or anything... Or will you have to pay 12 euro to take it to your local friendly civic recycling centre (if there is one)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

In Limerick, they're picked up in the second week in January by the binmen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

If you live in Dublin then you can deposit them at any Dublin City Council Depot!!

If you live near Raheny depos of it in the Edenmore Depot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

tree heaven or else leave it at a recycleing centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

I'd go with putting your tree in a recycling place!.My god Raheny Red is there anything that place in Edenmore doesn't recycle??...last time I was there they were taking fridges and everything! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

what i usually do is put it in the shed for the year and around november take it out fo the shed (its gone orange at this stage) and chop it up for firewood. It makes the whole house smell like christmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Just throw them out on the road. ****ing bin tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

My parents tell me they bring the old tree out to my uncle's farm and they are happy there. I've never seen them there though strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Our one goes on the fire. We still burning last years tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

homah_7ft wrote:
    My parents tell me they bring the old tree out to my uncles farm and they are happy there. I've never seen them there though strangely enough.

:D yeah they go to live on a farm down the country where they have space to run around.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Back up to the attic, with the rest of the decorations. (it's a fake tree obviously)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

You can find your recylcling centre here. A lot of them take Xmas trees. I believe they shred the poor things into wood chips :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Couple of years ago we decided to chop ours up and burn it. I was a bit too enthusiastic about it though and but a fair few small branches on. To this day I've never seen anything blaze as quickly as those branches. Fire brigade had to put out the chimney fire!! The roaring sound of the fire charging up the chimney was scarey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Drive it out into the country a bit, then let it free and drive away.
    Every year it hurts more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Get in touch with your local council, most have a service where you can bring them to and they mulch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Enii wrote:
    Get in touch with your local council, most have a service where you can bring them to and they mulch them.
    There are always at least 3 drop off points around the Templeogue area - it must be the same everywhere around Dublin - not sure out in the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dublin City council have a scheme this year where you buy a tag and your tree gets collected like your ordinary rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Chop it up for firewood, or make tea out of the needles - or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭WalkswithDeath

there picked up by the bin men or you can drop them off at your nearest collation point for christmas trees . the Christmas trees are Fed to a tree shredder an turned into wood chippings with is then sold its used for flower beds ect

• Registered Users Posts: 34 derekphonic

Victor wrote:
    Dublin City council have a scheme this year where you buy a tag and your tree gets collected like your ordinary rubbish.

Spent much of last Thursday looking for a place to buy one of these elusive tags. Tried all the local shops (I live in the Blackhorse Avenue area). Never found one.

Just left the tree out for the binmen and they took it anyway!

DP

• Advertisement
Advertisement