Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please.....windows setup problem

Options
  • 20-12-2005 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

im trying to do a fresh install of xp onto a laptop from a cd.

Couple of things:

1) im booting from a floppy with support for my PCMCIA card (CD ROM)

2)i have the drivers for the Card/CD rom and i am able to access it after booting from the floppy

3) I cant see my C:\ Partition (NTFS) when i boot from the floppy

However when it starts up i change to the i386 folder then run winnt.exe but i get an error saying it has no where to put a swapfile....

What can I do? Any ideas? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the problem is NTFS - it can only be written to using a copy of windows

if you are using a pcmcia cd then you may need to check your XP license as I suspect the laptop may be rather old

The DOS part of setup can't write to NTFS
    The PCMCIA card stops you booting off the CD so you have to start in Dos.

Options if you already have windows then copy the files off the CD and run setup from inside windows.

Get a CD recognised by laptops BIOS such that you can boot from it.

get a live linux disk and resize the partition so you can make room for a fat32 one and copy windows files there and then run setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

just fdisk the harddrive back to fat32

install windows on fat32 partition

then run the fat32 - ntfs drive converter

simple or what ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You can't convert the drive back to FAT32 without destroying the data on it unless you use a licenses piece of software like Partition Magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

CTU_Agent wrote:
    im trying to do a fresh install of xp onto a laptop:

Looks like it doesnt matter about old data. He is doing a fresh install.

Advertisement