Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor definitions for games.

Options
  • 20-12-2005 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

I've an Inspiron 6000, 1.73 Ghz Pentium M, 1GB RAM, 256MB Graphics Card.

I'm looking to buy Call of Duty 2. Most of the minimum spec is fine, but it does specify a Pentium IV, 1.4Ghz as minimum processor spec.

The fact that I've an M processor, is that going to be a problem?

Advice appreciated,
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

6ix wrote:
    Hiya,

I've an Inspiron 6000, 1.73 Ghz Pentium M, 1GB RAM, 256MB Graphics Card.

I'm looking to buy Call of Duty 2. Most of the minimum spec is fine, but it does specify a Pentium IV, 1.4Ghz as minimum processor spec.

Advice appreciated,
    Thanks

I think the Pentium M 1.73Ghz is equivalent to a P4 3Ghz. The Pentium m is more efficient at doing its task hence why it is as power as p4 at twice its speed afaik!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

6ix wrote:

The Pentium M is a flavour of the Pentium 4 family, so you should be fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

tom dunne wrote:
    The Pentium M is a flavour of the Pentium 4 family, so you should be fine.

The Pentium M is derived from the P3 not the P4, if anything the P4 Netburst architecture is being discontinued in favour of all Intel CPU's becoming Pentium M derived.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The X300 is gonna be the only problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

cheers,

The video spec required is:
    Video: 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerator video card and the latest drivers

and I've got ATI Mobility X300 Radeon 256MB card.

Should be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

6ix wrote:
    cheers,

The video spec required is:

and I've got ATI Mobility X300 Radeon 256MB card.

Should be ok?

Yup, that will handle CSS just fine :). My bro has the X300 128 and it plays CS with decent fps. Now bare in mind that we always set our Directx level to 7, this will get you maximum fps :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The X300 is gonna be the only problem..

How did you know that was his card before he mentioned it?

Anyway, the x300 should run it fine. CoD 2 unlike the other newer FPS titles coming out like BF2, FEAR and similar, looks pretty whilst not being too demanding on graphics hardware.

When I say fine, it's probably not going to run at full whack, but it should run at a level you can admire it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why are you gaming on a laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

SyxPak wrote:

Why not? I will soon be without a desktop, my laptop can play games, im not gonna just stop playing games becuase i dont have my desktop :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

SyxPak wrote:

Because I'm a student, and I need the laptop for doing multimedia stuff at college.

I cant afford to buy a PC AND a laptop. And I've a PS2 for other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

If you have a 6000, the gfx will be 128mb :) Same difference though - the X300 makes no use of anything more than 128mb really.

Advertisement