Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux in Roof 16 degree pitch

Options
  • 20-12-2005 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a roof that is being cut at the moment that has a pirch of 16 degrees. We would like to put a velux into it but I was told it may not be possible because of the pitch. Can anyone provide me with advice on this ?

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭jack24

Hi there,

As far as I am aware Velux rooflights are suitable for use on pitches as low as 15 degrees, below this there is a flat roof option, check out www.velux.ie which has all relevant info/technical specs. I would say at 16 degrees you should be fine. Good luck,

Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

16 Degrees seems very low, what provision is your builder making for "blowback" - rain in wind getting under the tile or slate. Normally 22 degrees is the minimun without taking special measures.

RooferPete might be able to comment on this.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

I have been told that 16 degrees is shallow for a roof but the tiler said he will be able to fix the slates with some form of adhesive. The roof area is also quite small at 10 m squared.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Goodman youself !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The minimum pitch for a tiled roof was raised to 25 degrees, a slate roof should be that and higher, some people are of the idea that slates can be fitted at a lower slope / pitch than tiles, the opposite is the truth.

Any roof at 16 degrees needs a proprietry system designed for low slopes, and please don't quote the UK regulations back to me, I won a court case for a customer because the builder produced a design page from a UK manual stating the pitch of the roof tile could be 17.5 degrees.

He was quoting a section from a system that could be installed at that pitch which was still 1.5 degrees above yours.

It is possible to fit the Velux window into the roof by raising the pitch / slope of the window or reverting to the Velux light designed for flat roofs.

For what it's worth any roofer who thinks he has a miracle cure for slate or tiles that are way below even the old regulations where they believed anti capillary grooves formed in the tiles during manufacture is either a genius or a total fool.

The size of the roof does not matter, even a dog kennel should have a properly fitted roof and 10 sqm can be costly to replace, which you will be doing in the near future if you allow that roof to be fitted.

Sorry for being so blunt but I get at least three calls per week from people who are looking for a cheap fix on badly fitted roofs, today you have the chance to avoid that problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

16 degrees is practicly a flat roof (I think the definition of a flat roof is <10 degrees).

How will the section of roof uphill from the rooflight drain? I'm not saying it can't be done, but it needs time and care.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Any one for Cricket. Yeah , Rooferpete you know what I mean. Secret society talk.;) ;);)

Assure them I'm still on topic

kadman:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Why Kadman ?,

Who would dare to infer you of all people would go O/T ?

My good fellow they would taking on both of us and you ;)

:D:D:D

Advertisement