Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud Laptop Fan..Solutions??

Options
  • 20-12-2005 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

the fan on my laptop is loud, i believe this is a problem for the model of my computer(Sony Vaio K series). is there any way of using an external piece of hardware to turn off the fan and cool my laptop silently?

thanks in advance for any help

steppen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"It's within spec." haha:p

You might get a better response from the guys in tweaking/modding
    I dunno about opening a VAIO to add other fans or heatsinks...it's a recipe for disaster if it's even possible..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sony used to sell gel mats to cool the laptops

or you could buy a usb fan - it might keep it cool enough to stop the thermostat kicking in

make sure all powersaving is on to reduce heat

move to a cooler room / make sure airvents have plenty of space

It's not really an issue that it's getting hot usually; the fan is quite large and loud for the majority of the time ( it has a hefty chip in it...).
    a USB fan may cause more heat in this case,tbh.

Use Sony Notebook Setup, and the power controls in the control panel to reduce the fans operation..

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Karoma wrote:
    It's not really an issue that it's getting hot usually; the fan is quite large and loud for the majority of the time ( it has a hefty chip in it...).
    a USB fan may cause more heat in this case,tbh.

Use Sony Notebook Setup, and the power controls in the control panel to reduce the fans operation..

so is there any point in asking a sony repair shop could they put a silent fan or something in it? is it possible?

If it has got worse over time - then use a can of compressed air or put a vacuum cleaner close to the fan to get rid of dust.
    Some [strike]cowb...[/strike] 'repair' shop may change the fan ..but tbh, if they put in a smaller fan they might not do the best job of it + the fan is that size for a reason! So, I would say put up with it (Unless it has got seriously worse over time / the unit is exhibiting signs of overheating)

Is the unit in warranty? (Just checking.. Sony VAIO-Link will most likely tell you that it is within spec. and that you'll possibly end up paying for the privilege..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Karoma wrote:
    If it has got worse over time - then use a can of compressed air or put a vacuum cleaner close to the fan to get rid of dust.
    Some [strike]cowb...[/strike] 'repair' shop may change the fan ..but tbh, if they put in a smaller fan they might not do the best job of it + the fan is that size for a reason! So, I would say put up with it (Unless it has got seriously worse over time / the unit is exhibiting signs of overheating)

Is the unit in warranty? (Just checking.. Sony VAIO-Link will most likely tell you that it is within spec. and that you'll possibly end up paying for the privilege..)

yes its still in warranty, it's 11 months old. the problem has not gotten worse over time, it seems the fan is just loud. i keep the machine very clean e.g hoovering it, and keeping the desk that it sits on clean also. so in your opinion i just have to live with it?

btw thanks for your helpful answers regarding my query.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Get a pacifica breeze man they are the roxxor!
    http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=467&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0
    Chepa dn keeps my baby cool enough that theres no noisefrom the onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

If its only 11months old you should return it, say how it should not be any different to the day you purchased it, if it is getting louder it suggests it isnt working as it should be ie sign of it going down hill. Take it back, state you need a working laptop not one that is showing signs of dying.

astec123 wrote:
    If its only 11months old you should return it, say how it should not be any different to the day you purchased it, if it is getting louder it suggests it isnt working as it should be ie sign of it going down hill. Take it back, state you need a working laptop not one that is showing signs of dying.

Read the OP's posts.. he said it didn't get worse over time..

You could register the VAIO and call the helpline to see if their stance has changed since i worked there; but I very much doubt it.
    If the noise is a nuisance, < 1 month would have been the time to do something about it (i.e. Throw it at the retailer with a polite No Thank You.) As long as it's not getting noisier or hotter, I really wouldn't be concerned - it really is normal for this processor/spec. machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

putting a quiet fan in there is a bad plan without an uprated heat pipe to match.

What you can do is make the most of the cooling system in there and prevent the fan from coming on as much.

You could strip it down, and replace the paste with Arctic 5, also of course you will want to make sure that the vents and fins on the heatsink are'nt full of dust!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 847 ✭✭✭pcwares

most of the new laptops have settings to reduce noise pollution from them. My stallelite pro has 3 settings - its case of when watching dvds to put the fan is passive state but there that risk of overheating it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Try this software to undervolt/underclock your laptop. It'll keep the chip cooler and the fan should not kick in as early.
    It also has options for reducing fan speed if your motherboard supports it (my VAIO S360 doesn't :()

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

steppen wrote:
    ... i believe this is a problem for the model of my computer(Sony Vaio K series)...

How do you know that? If its a known and common problem I suspect if you do some digging on laptop forums around the place you might find other owners who have found work arounds.

Advertisement