Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drama in Dublin

Options
  • 20-12-2005 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I can't find a forum specific to this so I have decided to post it here, as this happend to be the boards hot spot, but Mods, feel free to move....

One of my new years resolution is to get back into my old hobbies, and one things I used to be fairly passionate about in my teens was acting and singing.
    I used to go to the Facotry, the Perfomoing Arts School and Agency, on Barrow Street.
    However, they only cater for kids and teens, as far as I know, and I'm not sure where best to go now I am over 21.
    Has anyone any ideas?
    Even though acting would ultimately be a hobbie, I woudl love if there was a possibility of maybe scoring some work at some stage, so if anyone could suggest a school with a good name, I would really appreciate it.

Just to give you guys something to talk about:D , have any of you left behind old passions in the course of growing up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭dahooligan

Just to give you guys something to talk about:D , have any of you left behind old passions in the course of growing up?

I don't know much about the acting thing - but I did once play a role in a school play (I kicked ass, as in I played a scumbag, and not that I was that good :D )

But on the topic of leaving stuff behind whilst growing up.. I was quite a good singer - a soprano at that - but then me voice broke and I just turned into a big hairy mess :v: I also used to be a deadly swimmer, training 4 times a week and working my way towards Irish national records.. but then I just woke up one morning and found myself to be a big hairy mess :v: :v:

God damn growing up! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I got down to the last few kids for Into the west and a few years later got down to the last few for War Of the Buttons. I have flirted with the idea of going back to it, but I just dont have the time, music suits me better anyway. If only there was a way to mix the two and still be straight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

joejoem wrote:
    I got down to the last few kids for Into the west and a few years later got down to the last few for War Of the Buttons. I have flirted with the idea of going back to it, but I just dont have the time, music suits me better anyway. If only there was a way to mix the two and still be straight.....
    Ha ha ha, I was mad into the whole performing arts stuff a few years back. Was on rte a few times, although thats not difficult.
    I love singing too.
    Then you get all caught up with college and part time jobs and then full time jobs, and all extra activities fly out the window.

Ha ha ha, I was mad into the whole performing arts stuff a few years back. Was on rte a few times, although thats not difficult.
    I love singing too.
    Then you get all caught up with college and part time jobs and then full time jobs, and all extra activities fly out the window.

Another 12 hours a day would be handy. God, if your listening, can we extend the hours in a day by 12, but work the same amount as we do now..............

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:

Holy crap, 9000 posts and I dont think I have ever seen you before

Earthman wrote:
    I have never seen that forum before, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Keep an eye on the Film Production forum too...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=573

There is usually someone looking for actors for a short film. I know I will be looking for two female actors for a short I want to shoot in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

joejoem wrote:
    I got down to the last few kids for Into the west

Hahaha bloody ha that’s so funny! Which one were you going to be, tito or ossie? You do have a pikey look about you :p

Kiera wrote:
    Hahaha bloody ha that’s so funny! Which one were you going to be, tito or ossie? You do have a pikey look about you :p

Tayto, I was also going to be the horses body double for the shower scene. He was a shy owl thing, thats why they sent him to the glue factory

• Advertisement

There is usually someone looking for actors for a short film. I know I will be looking for two female actors for a short I want to shoot in the new year.
    Cool, thanks, thats good to know!

joejoem wrote:
    I got down to the last few kids for Into the west and a few years later got down to the last few for War Of the Buttons.
    I tried acting a little bit in my teens...

I went through a few auditions for The Van... but it really wasn't for me...

I tried acting a little bit in my teens...

I went through a few auditions for The Van... but it really wasn't for me...

A monkey serving chips....That would have been hillarious. Bimbo's monkey burgers.....

joejoem wrote:
    Tayto

So why is it spelt Tito here?? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104522/

Kiera wrote:
    So why is it spelt Tito here?? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104522/

Its probably spelt that way then, I allways thought it was Tayto!

joejoem wrote:
    Its probably spelt that way then, I allways thought it was Tayto!
    Well now you know! See this day isnt so bad for you. You've already learned something!

joejoem wrote:
    A monkey serving chips....That would have been hillarious. Bimbo's monkey burgers.....
    I didn't get the part as I kept insisting that my character should have a new hat and that people would often remark on his new hat and he'd respond angerly "I'm not wearing a hat!"

I thought it was funny at the time for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

get involved in a musical society! they are a great way to meet people and get back into acting. Lots of them have shows in november or marhc/april so it may not be too late to get a part in one./ go to www.aims.ie and it has a list of all of them

*Bump :D

wats bump mean is dat good or bad?

• Advertisement

Hey Guys, After today I am without net access for most of the christmas holidays (I cleverly dropped my lap top and now its dead :( )

Anyhow, if anyone could suggest a good place for me to take up acting again, I would really appreciate it.
    Ideally, classes would be held at weekends, and there would be a possibility of maybe scoring some work at some stage.
    All suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Try the Gaeity School of acting, you can take a college course in acting there but it requires an audition. ALternatively I think some youth theatres over here go up to 21 in age so you could try around there. Try Dublin Youth Theatre or the Gaeity Youth Theatre

Good Luck :)

Piste wrote:
    Try the Gaeity School of acting, you can take a college course in acting there but it requires an audition. ALternatively I think some youth theatres over here go up to 21 in age so you could try around there. Try Dublin Youth Theatre or the Gaeity Youth Theatre

Good Luck :)

I cant do a college course anyhow, I have 5 years of full time college under my belt and the thoughts of doing another one... well, lets just say its not an option :)

But yes, I had forgotten about the Gaeity, do they do weekend classes?

I know you can google a lot of this stuff, but I really want to get peoples reccommendations on where is best to go.

Thanks for you input, it really helps!

your near celbridge yeah>? Theres a brilliant theatre group in Naas called the Moat Theatre group they do lots of shows during the year my friend directs some id recommend it all the rehearsals and stuff is after work and weekends etc. also theres a great musical socitey in Clane they are doign my fair lady if you wanted to join and do the chorus or something you probably still could - hope this helps!

your near celbridge yeah>? Theres a brilliant theatre group in Naas called the Moat Theatre group they do lots of shows during the year my friend directs some id recommend it all the rehearsals and stuff is after work and weekends etc. also theres a great musical socitey in Clane they are doign my fair lady if you wanted to join and do the chorus or something you probably still could - hope this helps!

Hey Missy, thanks for that, I am from Whitehall, which is near Drumcondra, any ideas of somthing based in Dublin:)

lol im some eejit sorry I got confused!
    yup heres the aims page it shows all the socirtys and their contact details in the eastern region. Theres a musical society in glasnevin if thats near you
    www.aims.ie/displayregion.asp?region=Eastern

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Was a member of AIMS and there is always something going on. It is a great way to get back in to the whole acting\singing scene. Would thoroughly recommend it. Some of Irelands well known actors started in AIMS. Also check some of the independent acting\musical societys. Check the Events Forum on the AIMS site for details of open auditions.

Advertisement