Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem - Alarm going off

Options
  • 20-12-2005 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

I am wondering if I have a problem with sensors.

My alarm has gone off five times (twice last night) during the night in the last 10 days and is confined to the kitchen area.

We did have a couple of robberys in the area lately so I set up some infrared wireless cameras on the outside of the house and hooked up to a recorder.
    I had heard of thieves banging on windows to get the occupants to leave the alarm off thinking it was a faulty alarm

The footage is showing no bird hitting the window or any other activity.

Can a window sensor be faulty where it only occasionally goes off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Yes, it appears that sensors can go 'bad'.

I have a pain in my arse getting the sensors on our front and back doors replaced and am now going to learn where to buy them and how to replace them myself. If I didn't know better I'd say there was a vested interest on behalf of my maintenance company in having these feckers fail on an annual basis.

It is possible that there is some tampering going on but you've done the logical thing and set up a camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

I had the same problem, and after a year of the alarm company saying it was the birds, or the hailstones, or the sunlight, I requested that they change the kitchen sensor. And guess what? The alarm hasn't gone off since.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

even if you do get your own sensors you will need the alarm co to come out and input the engineers code, otherwise you wont be able to reset it (the tamper alert will be set off when you remove the sensor)

I'm guessing its a vibration sensor that is the culprit...have you tested to see how much of a vibration it needs to be set off?
    Have you confined it to 1 single sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks for all the feedback, it was reassuring.

The alarm comp. have finally agreed to come out to replace the sensors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I have the engineer code already and if I didn't I'd expect the company that did the installation to give it to me - there's no exclusivity agreement in place between usd.
    I was thinking of doing the part-time FAS course to get training in alarm installation and maintenance so I can do this for myself. It can't be that complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

shabbyroad wrote:
    I have the engineer code already and if I didn't I'd expect the company that did the installation to give it to me - there's no exclusivity agreement in place between usd.
    well they wont
    thats "their" code.
    they will enter it and unlock the panel but they wont give it to you.
    Otherwise you could go to every house they have fitted and let yourself in.
    Its not *that* complicated.
    Programming the panels and not electrocuting yourself would the main barriers to entry I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Advertisement