Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting System Information

Options
  • 20-12-2005 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any little utilities out there that can be run in Windows to report on all the hardware and output it to a text file? I'm not talking about SANDRA or anything complicated like that - what I want is an executable (no installation required) which will gather info about hdds, ram, gfx, sound, cpu, network card, OS and patches (HFNETCHK for these) etc and just save it to a text file on the desktop or anywhere else with minimal user interaction. The reason is for supporting pcs so that I don't have to talk the user through finding all the information I'd need but can just get them to mail me this text file easily.

Please don't suggest the System Information in Windows as the information required is all on separate tabs and is a pain in the ass to sort through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Start>Run>dxdiag
    Save All information :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That doesn't give any hard disk info or any details on network cards - just the protocols available (which I didn't list in my original post - now edited :p). But it does give the OS info (apart from patches) which I meant to add as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll bet money that there's a way to get system information to run in batch mode (i.e. command line) or a command line equivalent with a similar name. Try "<exename> /?".

I can't access my windows box right now for some reason (prolly network cable disconnected) or I'd check for you.

Sheesh - and I'm a command line nerd :o

WINMSD /REPORT C:\TEMP\REPORT.TXT

Thanks Khannie.

And just for closure for anyone else looking for similar info - HFNETCHK will report on missing patches

• Advertisement
Advertisement