Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Singing and playing

Options
  • 19-12-2005 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

Help. I've been playing guitar for 14 months now and still cant sing and play at the same time. Is this normal and is there anything i can do to be able to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I would recommend to keep trying to sing and play at the same time.
    I can only sing and play to songs that I know the guitar part basically off. You need to have a running tab in the back of your mind of the guitar part, but basicaly be thinking of the singing. The guitar happens as an aside.
    Or so I find. Could be totally the other way around for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

iv onyl being playin for 6 months and when i sing sometimes the rythm gets messed up....but i only sing when i play acustic :P .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

I had this problem for a long time...

What you have to do is take some really simple songs (3 or 4 chords) like 'Breakfast at Tiffaneys' or 'Little By Little' or 'That's Entertainment' (along these lines).

Now practise along with song, not singing yet. Be able to play song without looking at the guitar or thinking about it too much. Sort out strumming/rhythm first.

After you get this...
    try talking or humming over song while your playing, eventually try singing, even if it's only the chorus or a bit of a verse.

I've only been able to do this for a while now so I know how you feel.

After a while you can progress onto more complicated songs or fingerpicking while singing (I'm still working on that part).

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

3 words: practice, practice, practice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I had the same problem when I started playing guitar. Used to practice Nirvana's about a girl and after a few weeks of concentrating on getting the guitar correct you can let your mind wander to the singing.

Try to walk around and play at the same time. Then try to watch TV and play. Even try tapping your feet alternating between left and right. It all builds on your co-ordination.

Don't look at your hands when playing either. ..similar to the fact that most of the time you don't look at your teeth when brushing them (at least i don't :v: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

It comes with practice. I've been playing for two years and I still cant sing and play Nirvana: Come As You Are at the same time yet have no problem with many other songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

I can do it with songs ive known for a long time. i just dont tink of the guitar an focus on the singing but u have to kno the song well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

lol. I'm the same as GStormcrow. Some songs come fine other ones I don't think I'll ever be able to play and sing together. Come as you are is damn hard for some reason. I think "Bob Dylan - Oh Sister" was the first one i managed. try that maybe. My timing is pretty bad in general tho:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Try singing and playing bass at the same time

now that is hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

now that is hard

But it's all the same, it comes with practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

now that is hard

Sting played on the raggae (half) beat and sang in the straight beat!!

Now that took talent!!

Dunno how easily it came to him though!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

now that is hard

Yep. It's like trying to thread a needle while pole-vaulting. :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Is it really that hard??? Just makes you love Phil Lynott even more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've no problem singing and playing guitar or bass once it's not too complicated (strumming and root notes or simple bass lines) but once I try and do anything complicated my voice stops and then my playing stops. Then I look sheepish. Yet still I try. Someday, someday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

it just comes, dont think about what you're playing and just play it then you should be able to sing along to it. its the same as learning the instrument....you gotta practice.

-Funk

Advertisement