Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Effects Oscar Contenders

Options
  • 19-12-2005 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

EmpireOnline

I taught the visuals in Sin City were amazing. Definitly worth a nomination in my opinion.

The list:

Revenge of the Sith

King Kong

Batman Begins

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

War of the Worlds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

WoTW and King Kong would have to be the favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Alsan was very good though.. in that you forget you're looking at a special effect. But a lot of the other effects in Narnia let it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I agree Aslan looked very good, but the wolves looked sh!t.
    To be in contention for an Oscar the movie's effects should hold a high standard throughout it's running time.

Revenge of the Sith looked great in places, dodgy in others.

Batman Begins is probably there because of the Batmobile

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The Bat Mobile was real though, they did actually make a working Bat Mobile to scale, most of the scenes with it were done with the real thing too.

Id go for Kong probably, Narnia was very good in places, and it was impressively done to have most of the cast purely CGI.

Pugsley wrote:
    The Bat Mobile was real though, they did actually make a working Bat Mobile to scale, most of the scenes with it were done with the real thing too.
    Yes. They had to make it, that's what makes it a Special Effect, it doesn't matter if it's done with CGI or metal.

The effects in Batman Begins were very good actually as you didn't really notice them so much, and that's what makes good special effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I can't see it going to anything but War of the Worlds. Stunning work. All of the others had some elements that were shoddy while being outstanding elsewhere. Only WotW had consistently jaw dropping digital and practical effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

WotW for me too. If we were to get attacked by Martians that is what i would think they would look like.

I don't know... I loved the tripods and everything... and stuff like the crashed plane..

But the matians themselves were a bit naff looking... although that is possibly more down to poor design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

But the matians themselves were a bit naff looking... although that is possibly more down to poor design.

Looked they were stolen from independence day.

Opening scene of episode 3 did it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Either RotS Or WotW

None of the others really mantained the same high quality throughout the entire film without lapsing in a few areas.....

On an individual scale though, Narnias Aslan and Kongs...well...Kong were superb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The great thing about Batman, as mentioned somewhere above, is how subtle the effects were. It wouldn't be an obvious choice.
    War of the Worlds would definately be up there for me. The scene when the tripod comes up for the first time just blew me away. And
    when Cruise is driving the kids out of town, and you can see out the rear windscreen the bridge being blown up and vehicles flying everywhere
    Strange that Sin City isn't on the list; the whole world was created digitally, inch perfect.
    And more recently, King Kong.

I haven't seen the new Harry Potter or Chronicles of Narnia, so couldn't comment on those.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

King Kong had the best effects of them all in places but other scenes let it down a bit. I would probably say WOtW had the most consistently brilliant effects so would probably give it to that film, although the idea of WOtW wining an oscar sickens me. Very average movie!

Advertisement