Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise to Borris in Ossery / Cullahill

Options
  • 19-12-2005 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

When is this road going to get the go ahead it was meant to be finished in 2007 ????

Mountrath and Abbeyleix are major bottlenecks and are adding to journey times.

The M7/M8 i believe will be more impressive than the M4/N6.
    the M7 will be mainline and M8 will branch off , although its hard to tell when looking at the plans. Correct me if I'm wrong. I will be happy to pay a toll if the road is tip top.

The roads past Portlaois are horse and trar roads and can't go on holding convoys of trucks and the thousands of cars who use it daily.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

deleted, as i post it already, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Too true, the Abbeyleix-Portlaoise N8 is a joke, why the hell they don't put in hard margins like they did between Cullohill-Durrow is beyond me.

I hear that a major find at/near Cullohill is holding up proceedures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As an 'interested party', I can give some info-

The Council plan taking possession of the land during 2006, most likely the 2nd half/last quarter of the year. We've been told to farm the land as normal, but to put in crops that will be harvested early in the Autumn.

There are (apparently!), only two archaeological sites that warrant further investigation, at Cullahill and Clough. The Cullahill site can be seen from the N8 just South of the town. Neither of them (also apparently!) is of major significance, and they are not expected to delay proceedings. This of course, may change when they are fully investigated.

The plans of the scheme show a toll plaza approximately 3km South of the current end of the M7 (where it becomes the N7- Limerick Road).

Currently, the M7-M8 junction in the middle of the scheme (in the area of Clough) is NOT intended to be a full access junction. Ie.- it will not be possible to drive Northwards on the M8 (from Cork) and turn West onto the M7 (towards Limerick), and vice versa.
    Anyone wishing to make this manoeuvre will have to continue North on the M7, go through the toll plaza to the next junction, go back down the M7 through the tolls, and continue in the direction of Limerick.
    The reality is that traffic wishing to go in these directions will continue using the local roads.

There are NO plans for local access to the scheme at any point, except at the ends- the current end of the M7 (Limerick Road), Cullahill, and Borris-in-Ossory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

is there a website for more on this road project ?

Maskhadov wrote:
    is there a website for more on this road project ?
    Here you go- http://www.m7m8scheme.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Rovi wrote:
    one of the worst websites i have ever seen
    there is s link "D" to the right of the map image, this is a description of the route ffs :rolleyes:

how much tax payers money was paid for this piece of sh!t website

dmeehan wrote:
    one of the worst websites i have ever seen
    there is s link "D" to the right of the map image, this is a description of the route ffs :rolleyes:

how much tax payers money was paid for this piece of sh!t website
    It is a bit pants, isn't it? :D
    If I recollect correctly, it was put up sometime in 2003 and hasn't changed since, as far as I can see.

It shows proposed junctions in several places on the route, which the Council have informed us are not now going ahead, for instance.

Here's a more up to date PDF of the scheme as we currently understand it- http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/4523-0.pdf
    It still shows junctions near Aghaboe and Ballacolla, which we've been led to believe have been dropped.

Zoom in to 400% or so, and put Mountrath on the left edge of your window.
    If you look between the 'N7' symbol (East of Mountrath) and the 'R' of 'Railway', you'll see where the scheme crosses a river, and the black line denoting the scheme gets thicker.
    That's where the toll plaza is proposed.

yeah, that website is pathetic

Danno wrote:
    Too true, the Abbeyleix-Portlaoise N8 is a joke, why the hell they don't put in hard margins like they did between Cullohill-Durrow is beyond me.

I don't see the point inproving the the Abbeyleix road or the N7 Mountrath road as they have already being resurfaces and paved, anyways most of the traffic will divert to the M7 when its finished. can they not still go ahead with the M7 Borris in ossary section as its not affected by the archaeology sites?
    Though i know it still the one scheme but hell they could start it

Its a pain going through Mountrath , Trucks get funnelled into the new sets of traffic light, not only that the council made the junction there narrower , the reason as to why , is;nt logical to me, traffic is slow there as it is...:rolleyes:

they have resurfaced the same sections of the N7 between Portlaois and mountrath more times than i have made a trips to upand down to Dublin this year!!

hope this roads gets the go a head soon.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The entire of the N8 between the new Fermoy bypass and Portlaoise is a ****ing disgrace. Needs to be sorted out NOW. FFS the main road between the two biggest cities in the country is a deathtrap.

Try driving down that road at 100km/h late on a Friday night when everyones doing it.

• Advertisement

The entire of the N8 between the new Fermoy bypass and Portlaoise is a ****ing disgrace. Needs to be sorted out NOW. FFS the main road between the two biggest cities in the country is a deathtrap.

Try driving down that road at 100km/h late on a Friday night when everyones doing it.

that road is not that bad its relatively good surface till Horse and Jockey. Though Porlaois to Limerick is much suferior than the Cork road, though having said that from fremoy to Portlaois is not the original Cork road, the T6 via Clonmel/Kilkenny was the main Cork to Dublin road before the eighties I guess.

Most of the Limerick to Nenagh road is now top class

From Abbeyleix to near Cashel is very good IMO, with hard margins all the way on both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Lol I wont be impressed with that road till every inch of the Cork-Dublin route is motorway or at the very least, dual carriageway.

mysterious wrote:
    that road is not that bad its relatively good surface till Horse and Jockey. Though Porlaois to Limerick is much suferior than the Cork road, though having said that from fremoy to Portlaois is not the original Cork road, the T6 via Clonmel/Kilkenny was the main Cork to Dublin road before the eighties I guess.

Most of the Limerick to Nenagh road is now top class

Have you maps for old routes???

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Danno wrote:
    Have you maps for old routes???
    They were mostly the same roads (save where upgraded / bypassed), merely numbered differently.

Some specific sections were upgraded / downgraded (the Galway - Sligo route used to go Galway - Ballyhaunis - Sligo it now goes Galway - Knock (bypassed) - Sligo )

Victor wrote:
    They were mostly the same roads (save where upgraded / bypassed), merely numbered differently.

Some specific sections were upgraded / downgraded (the Galway - Sligo route used to go Galway - Ballyhaunis - Sligo it now goes Galway - Knock (bypassed) - Sligo )

No... the Cork route was mostly on a different road altogether the T6 it went as far as Cahir on the same route as the N8 The rest is not :p . it had to along the same route as the existing N8 because of the Galtee mountains , From Cahir onwards to Portlaois was a regional road to the Midlands. and the Cork-Dublin route went through Clonmel-Kilkenny-athy now the N78, funnily enough it is only a few miles in a difference in terms of travelling on either of the routes, the old route though is much downgraded and it even was mainline most of the N24 which did not exist at the time of the old numbering. now the N8 follows more in fashion as the Cork-Dublin rail line, I .e more to the west of the old route.

The Limerick route is much the same even since the 19th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i find both roads tolerably good, save where they pass the various villages but if I travel to Dublin from North Cork, i travel via Limerick and the N7, as the N72 from Mallow to Mitchelstown is appaling and no sign of doing anything with it as Rosslaire to Killarney tourists are routed via Cork City nowadyas.Via Limerick is 10 miles further but much much quicker. (if I travel to Rosslaire, i have to go via Mitchelstown but at least this route then avoids Waterford City....)

the Nenagh to Limerick and Limerick southern ring road phase 2 is to this year,( was going to say early next year) whack!! its 2006 :D but not much news on this front ther than than the Southern ring road is defenatly coming on soon.

I have relatives living in Kanturk and they go via N7 much more direct.

where is the Limerick south ring going to go? does it link the N7/N20 junction with the N18 airport road (i hope)

Yes it will be a half cloveleaf junction exactly where you pinpointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

corktina wrote:
    where is the Limerick south ring going to go?
    This way, apparently. :)

aha! back to the tunnel...i thought i had dreamt that there was to be a tunnel.....trouble is that traffic from the n29 will have to travel halfway past Limerick before nearly doubling back on itself......it seems quicker to take a left at Patrickswell/racecourse and use the old road (as indeed I do now as it is miles quicker than the main road...it is even nearly as quick through Patrickswell itself.....

is there a northern ring road going around Limerick ?

Maskhadov wrote:
    is there a northern ring road going around Limerick ?
    nope, there is a northern releif road to take a large amount of N7 TO N18 users away from the city centre but that road is also in need of a relief, the unofficial northern ring road goes through the back road around Mountshannon to Killaloe roads!.

I have seen recent maps that the city council are planning to build a northern ring road from where the last rouundabout is on the N18 where Cork/Trallee and N7/city merge (just outside the city) and swing to the northern suburbs. cratloe roads and to the Parteen and Killaloe roads.

Its badly needed as most of the local and through traffic has to pass through Kings Island. Areas such as Corbally road is a well known traffic blackspot.

I have no idea when the route is starting, but the Corbally link road is under construction.

Yep Cortina, that route seems more logical as most southern users who wish to cross the Shannon have to travel more out of thier way to get across the river as staying on the tunnel option is probably a good few miles longer +tolls and you have to take 180 off the N20 the slip onto the tunnell road, anyways my point is it hell of lot longer and the new route is more suited to east-west traffic not North- south traffic...

Advertisement