Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build General Query

Options
  • 19-12-2005 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all

I've just put in for planning permission for a new build on my corner site in Castleknock, Dublin. I've decided to go the self-build route with my brother-in-law in charge of the build full-time. He has experience converting attics and doing garage conversions also. My father-in-law is retired but was a very good builder in his day and he will also oversee a lot of the work. I'm hoping I save about 30% on build costs.

I've decided to go with timber frame with a company called Clarkes as I've heard good things about, specifically from this board.

For windows, I've decided to go with Kolbe Windows, again from what I've heard through this forum.

Has anyone any recommendations for electricians/roofers/labourers, etc., that they've used and haven't been ripped off? Hopefully, everything will go okay with this job and no problems, but anyone any idea what I should be looking out for in terms of problems that they foresee? Also, what do people think of UFH as opposed to regular radiators?

Also, if anyone is interested and is thinking of doing their own self build in the Dublin area, I wonder if we could all get together to source suppliers, etc., thereby making it cheaper to buy in bulk? Does anyone think this idea is off the wall?

Anyway, love the forum, great info on it and hopefully, in a year or so, I'll be the proud owner of a brand new 5 bed detached property.

I'll keep everybody updated on progress as it goes (or doesn't, as the case may be!!!).

Cheers for now!!!

Larry:)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good man Larry, best of luck with it.

I agree on the bulk buy idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 larrymo

Thanks, Yop

Doesn't seem to be too much interest in pitching together to get bulk discounts at the moment....oh, well.

Larmo:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

sorry larrymo - I thought it was a good idea myself, but didn't really think about it very much, got lazy and didn't bother replying...

a few thoughts come to mind... i'm sure most people are at different stages of building, and need different things at different times. it's very unlikely that everyone will need delivery of the same item at the same time.

however, i think it might be possible to negotiate with a builders providers to get things at a discount. someone might be willing to give a 10% discount to anyone mentioning boards.ie

Secondly, a lot of people here seem interested in many of the same things.... kingspan or xtratherm insulation, heat pumps, pellet stoves, veluxes or skytubes, kitchen applicances, soundproofing materials. It might be possible to do either a discount scheme like above, where anyone mentioning boards would get a certain discount.

Or a bulk buy, where there is definite interest in a certain item... negotiate a fixed price at probably a much bigger discount. As people will want them at different times, there might be a deposit required, and then delivery when it's needed.

It might be worth going directly to the manufacturer (say kingspan, velux, gypsum, etc) - they don't normally deal with the consumer, but might deal with a group.

Advertisement