Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinFixer [malware]

Options
  • 18-12-2005 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭

A quick post about some new malware, and how I came across it:
    Was just browsing the 'net with Firefox (can't remember where -- not lookin at pr0n!) when all of a sudden Firefox disappeared!
    I get a message from "Winfixer2000", telling me to install it for security problems -- obviously, I press "Cancel". So Firefox comes back, with a new tab labelled "WinFixer2005". It obnoxiously tries to install again. Clicked "Cancel", but this time a new box comes up, with the only option being "OK"!.

Now, this looks dangerous, but WTF was a program called "Winfixer" thinking when it tries to install itself on a Mac?:D Anyway, just letting you guys be aware of this; maybe if the Windows crowd post to say if they came across this, and how they dealt with it (I'm fine).

Advertisement