Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DFI Lanparty versus Lanparty UT

Options
  • 18-12-2005 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me what the difference between the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR and DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert boards is?

The specs for both are identical, the only obvious difference being the price (and that's only €15).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The expert is an updated version that was released only a few weeks ago.
    Read some reviews, they'll tell you what you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Expert has larger spacing between the pci-e slots and some other small upgrades but however it seems that it ught be a dodgy board and kill your CPU read here..
    http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82281
    Pedro's golden FX was fried by one *tear*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Expert has larger spacing between the pci-e slots and some other small upgrades but however it seems that it ught be a dodgy board and kill your CPU read here..
    http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82281
    Pedro's golden FX was fried by one *tear*

Yea I was thinking of getting one of these myself but I'm starting to get put off it. Its strange because its getting great reviews but on a lot of forums theres people complaining about numerous issues their having with it.
    I reckon I might just go for the Ultra-D or even an Asus board.

Go for the ultraD and mod in to SLI and SATA2 best decision youll ever make cheap and ultra high performace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Go for the ultraD and mod in to SLI and SATA2 best decision youll ever make cheap and ultra high performace
    Would that not suffer from the same problems as the SLI version then?

Would I be better off looking at something like the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe or Asus A8N-SLI Premium instead of the DFI?

Have there been any reports of the older DFI killing components like the new one is?

• Advertisement

Nope! All the older ones are rock solid.
    And DFI over Asus anyday IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

the expert also has auto SLI among other things, hope my new one doesnt fry the fx55 under mach 2 :eek:

ah it looks ok http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82319

most people arent having problems

gline wrote:
    25% of people in that poll are having problems, that doesn't inspire confidence.

Just to confirm, there's no reported major problems with the older DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Food for thought. I am pretty close to ordering a DFI board. Was going to go Expert but I think I'll revise my order and go with the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Please stop spouting bollocks.

You cannot perform the SLI mod as easily anymore, and I recall mutterings of nVidia doing a driver block on the boards.
    Ultra-Ds already have Sata300+NCQ (There is no Sata2 spec).

And the price difference between Ultra-D and SLI DR is sod-all when you get down to it.

The Lanparty Vs. Lanparty UT == "Extras Vs. Not so many extras"

I bought the DFI NF4 LP SLI-DR, the case harness was too small for my stacker but seems to be of decent quality, I've little use for the frontx at the moment (2 spare usb ports on my stacker frontpanel as it is, no external sata drives spare) so about the only things worth using out of it (for me) were the UV-reative cables and cable sleeving.

Still, it's a fúcking sexy board, and speaking of boards, www.dfi-street.com - some of the best and meatiest tech support I've seen aside from Coolermaster forums. You'll need to do alot of reading and fiddling to get the best from the board, but she's got alot to give.

I don't like the layout of the SLI-DR expert, though I like that they addressed the chipset HSF issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The new dfi expert on a cold boot can send 3 volts to a cpu killing it and on the sli-dr on a cold boot can send 5 volts into the ram when the jumper is enabled. If you have the money go with the expert and bios flash it.

krazy_8s wrote:
    The new dfi expert on a cold boot can send 3 volts to a cpu killing it and on the sli-dr on a cold boot can send 5 volts into the ram when the jumper is enabled. If you have the money go with the expert and bios flash it.

u got a link to this bios that supposidly fixes the issue on the expert?

SyxPak wrote:
    Please stop spouting bollocks.

You cannot perform the SLI mod as easily anymore, and I recall mutterings of nVidia doing a driver block on the boards.
    Ultra-Ds already have Sata300+NCQ (There is no Sata2 spec).

And the price difference between Ultra-D and SLI DR is sod-all when you get down to it.

The Lanparty Vs. Lanparty UT == "Extras Vs. Not so many extras"

I bought the DFI NF4 LP SLI-DR, the case harness was too small for my stacker but seems to be of decent quality, I've little use for the frontx at the moment (2 spare usb ports on my stacker frontpanel as it is, no external sata drives spare) so about the only things worth using out of it (for me) were the UV-reative cables and cable sleeving.

Still, it's a fúcking sexy board, and speaking of boards, www.dfi-street.com - some of the best and meatiest tech support I've seen aside from Coolermaster forums. You'll need to do alot of reading and fiddling to get the best from the board, but she's got alot to give.

I don't like the layout of the SLI-DR expert, though I like that they addressed the chipset HSF issue.

Heh watch the way your speaking mate yeah??
    Its till easily done all u have to do is scrape a tiny bit of epoxy off, and is saving another few euro and Nvdia cannot create a driver fi as has been discussed on DFI many times if youd care to read before u insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

gline wrote:
    u got a link to this bios that supposidly fixes the issue on the expert?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83032

Just wondering what the general opinion of the Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe as an alternative to the DFI boards would be?

It works out the same price on overclock.co.uk as the A8N-SLI Premium does on komplett.ie

hmm looks like i "may" have a faulty board, it worked for about an hour, then i switched pc off and reboot and the 4 diagnostic lights stay on, so it basically doesnt get anywhere in the boot sequence, gonna see what the story is, resetting bios did nothing

IS your chip ok?

IS your chip ok?

not sure

when trying to install windows, it says starting windows and the pc hangs (just after it has installed all the basic i/o drivers, i cant seem to fix this, gonna try reset bios again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

4 red lights on that board is a generic sign it hasn't posted, mine does it because it apparently takes exception to seasonic psu's, I think 3/2/1 correspond to bios/ram/video card. I did find with mine that depending on whats happened you may need to to remove the battery and leave the cmso clear jumper off overnight in a worst case scenario, it can be a touchy board. You can also get a rather handy bios flashing cd image here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031 , and there are various popular custom bios said to fix some instabilities.

• Advertisement

telemachus wrote:
    4 red lights on that board is a generic sign it hasn't posted, mine does it because it apparently takes exception to seasonic psu's, I think 3/2/1 correspond to bios/ram/video card. I did find with mine that depending on whats happened you may need to to remove the battery and leave the cmso clear jumper off overnight in a worst case scenario, it can be a touchy board. You can also get a rather handy bios flashing cd image here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031 , and there are various popular custom bios said to fix some instabilities.

i was gonna try flash to the new beta bios and i see that this cd has it :) , it is booting now, but just cant install wndows. the original problem i was having was with a usb device, no i reset bios and windows wont install at all. I am running a memtest on it and that seems to be fine.. so memory is ok. I dont know what is causing the problem

telemachus wrote:
    I did find with mine that depending on whats happened you may need to to remove the battery and leave the cmso clear jumper off overnight in a worst case scenario,.

i thought this causes problems with the cp or board? I was always told never to do that on a dfi. youve done this?? u mean leave the cmos jumper off all together when doing it???

DO NOT TAKE THE BATTERY OUT GLINE!!!!!!!DFI said this is what killed the CPU's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

Sorry, typed that rather vaguely, what I meant was leave the cmos jumper in the "clear" position overnight with the battery removed, not with the jumper completely absent, that's the most thorough method of cmose clearing reffered to onthe dfi forums. As regards the rather animated post before me borne on the wings of capslock I couldn't say for sure, my boards the sli-dr so I might have simply not come accross it.

I've certainly not seen reference to an explicit explanation for the 3v cpu death thing, on the official dfi-street forums with regular dfi techs posting regularily it's still something of a mystery (eg http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35290)

DO NOT TAKE THE BATTERY OUT GLINE!!!!!!!DFI said this is what killed the CPU's.

:eek: LOL

i did and it didnt fix the problem, didnt fry the cpu either, i am on the new bios that is supposed to fix that 3v to cpu issue

i dunno how to fix this, something is obviuosly didgy in there :mad:

Ya tried DFI street.
    God didnt know if ya was on the new bios was sitting here going god no hes fried another FX!

Ya tried DFI street.
    God didnt know if ya was on the new bios was sitting here going god no hes fried another FX!

yeh i tried dfi street, not really helpful, i dont know what is up with this, seems a weird problem, though id say mobo is bust :mad:

Advertisement