Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best graphics card?

Options
  • 17-12-2005 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Does any1 know the latest best graphics card thats out at the moment. i'm using a nvidia GeForce FX 5200 right now I think i need a better 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You'd probably get a better idea if you posted over on the graphics forum.
    Anyway popular opinion would be that Nvidia's 7800 series is on top at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

here

or

here

be prepared to spend a sizable amount of money on either one.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭BULLER

At this moment in time the 7800gtx's punch power does not justify its price as you can buy two 6800 Ultra's in SLI configuration for less then the price and they'll also deliver more power....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

At this moment in time the 7800gtx's punch power does not justify its price as you can buy two 6800 Ultra's in SLI configuration for less then the price

you cant

and they'll also deliver more power....

they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

The 7800GT gives a kind of happy medium if you want a excellent graphics card that has most of the power of a GTX without spending so much.
    What i think is being forgotten here in the debate over 7800GTX's and 6800Ultras in SLi is that the OP said he is using a FX5200 at the mo, which more than likely means he is only able to use an AGP card without doing a major amount of upgrading/replacing motherboard and probably cpu etc.
    If you are sticking to AGP for the mo, then the most powerful graphics card available to you would be a 6800Ultra or a X850XT. Komplett have an agp X850XT but at €380 you are talking big buckshere. They seem to have no 6800Ultra at present, but 6800GS here for €293 gets some good reviews as well. You may however want to take power consumption of these cards into consideration as well though. i.e. can your current PSU supply enough juice for these cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Does any1 know the latest best graphics card thats out at the moment. i'm using a nvidia GeForce FX 5200 right now I think i need a better 1

chances are, (and I am jumping to conclusions here) that it may not be economical to upgrade a computer that is currently kitted with and FX5200.

Of course, you can go used, get a 9800pro which pales in comparision of other cards mentioned here, but would make light work of an FX5200.

What are your other system specs? CPU, RAM size and speed?

Lastly of course, what games do you want to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I read a mention of an AGPonly 7800-series card in the works, the 7800GS or something.

{edit} found it {/edit}

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

SyxPak wrote:
    I read a mention of an AGPonly 7800-series card in the works, the 7800GS or something.

{edit} found it {/edit}
    That would be good news, if it does come out, for those who have pretty high end systems with AGP gfx slots. If you had something like an Athlon64 3000 and upwards without PCI-Express (for example if you had a mobo like this), then such a card would keep you going for a good while yet, especially if you didn't wanna do a major system upgrade until Socket M2 is well established in a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SyxPak wrote:

{edit} found it {/edit}

http://www.nforcershq.com/article4791.html
    "These boards are meant for the sole purpose of inhouse engineering and QA. [...] NVIDIA has NO plans to release a commercially available GeForce 7800 GS PCI Express board."
    Strange statement, indeed; but your article makes sense -- why go to the trouble of creating a card for developers only?:confused: I only used commercial cards (X800XT PE's) in localisation...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

if its pci-e u want , then x1800xt or 7800gtx 512 is the way to go at the mo

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

SyxPak wrote:

Hmmm Il have to grab one of them x1600pros for definite!

Spell-check now and again.

And your first socket is incorrect.

The G70 holds no interest for me, if I upgrade in this generation, it'll be an ATI card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

SyxPak wrote:
    Spell-check now and again.

And your first socket is incorrect.

The G70 holds no interest for me, if I upgrade in this generation, it'll be an ATI card.
    Huh??

Advertisement