Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Nintendo 64 games?

Options
  • 17-12-2005 12:16pm

Hi,

Just got an old N64 and was wondering what are the top/best games for the format....thanks for any suggestions....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Goldeneye.

Someone had to say it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Jet Force Gemini/Space Station Silicon Valley/ISS 64/98/2000/Mario 64/Mario Kart/Banjo Kazooie/Blast Corps/Lylat Wars/Mario Tennis/Donkey Kong 64/Super Smash Bros are all top games.

My favorite multi-player game on it was Mario Golf.We got at least 3 years of great times out of it.

I actually forgot to mention I got GoldenEye and Zelda Ocarina of Time with the machine....

you're right though GoldenEye is class...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I don't think Goldeneye has aged very well at all. Fantastic game at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

lylat wars! (repeats this a 1000 times)

currently looking for that for my N64 (which i also recently picked up 2nd hand) i want it so very very bad.

(p.s wonder if a starfox game is coming to the DS? be fricken awesome)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

zelda oot and majoras mask
    goldeneye
    donley kong 64
    perfect dark
    super smash bros
    the world is not enough

the N64 had the best games by far imo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

forsaken....no not really... but honestly, zelda defo....goldeneye too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Body Harvest is one of the best if you can get over the awkward controls.
    Diddy cong racing was probably better than mario kart 64, hard as hell though, will probably lead to you pulling out your own hair if you get it.
    Hybrid Heaven was a wierd adventure game with an excellent fighting system and probably the cheesiest ending in existence, hard as hell to find these days though.
    The goemon game was hilarious, the songs in it were brilliant, especially the giant robot theme thing.....insane game.

Can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

d22ontour wrote:
    Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Jet Force Gemini/Space Station Silicon Valley/ISS 64/98/2000/Mario 64/Mario Kart/Banjo Kazooie/Blast Corps/Lylat Wars/Mario Tennis/Donkey Kong 64/Super Smash Bros are all top games.

So can i have all my games back now?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Lylat Wars.

Possibly the graetest creation by mankind ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Lylat Wars
    Zelda OOT
    Goldeneye
    Perfect Dark
    Super Smash Bros.

Nuff said.

oh ya and resident evil 2 and mario tennis
    im sure more will come to me

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Lylat Wars, Super Smash Bros... and quite a few more :) The N64 was cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blast Corps and Wave Race deserve a mention (although the PAL wave race conversion is attrocious).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

PilotWings is a beautiful little flight simulator.... I just bought an old copy from eBay there a few weeks back. You can use a hang-glider, microlite, rocket pack, canon, and fly as "birdman".

TopGear Rally is nice and seasonal when you race in the snow.

GoldenEye was a great 4 player game.

Zelda the ocinara of time was a lovely graphics rich game too... with swordplay & horse riding.

PS. You can download a free N64 emulator for the PC from www.pj64.net

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Emulation is unfortunately isn't perfect and there are annoying little bugs and glitches on the majority of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I agree with all the people above that said Lylat Wars, I got it for Chrimbo when it came out and I played it to death and still play it regularly, you have to have the rumble pak in for this game, it definitely adds to it. It took me ages to unlock expert mode and then get all the medals in expert mode but it was well worth the effort, it also has some of the best bosses ever.

Also I don't know if anyone else mentioned it but I think Turok 1 & 2 were brilliant games and grab Blast Corps if you can.

And last but not least would be Conkers Bad Fur Day, the funniest game ever to be made, anything that has scouse dung beatles and a singing poo monster has to be played.

Thought Conkers was overrated tosh tbh. Turok 1 has aged woefully but Turok 2 is still a decent game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

i thought forsaken was decent :D

but Goldeneye Lylat wars Zelda OOT Mario 64/Mario cart Super Smash Bros and Perfect dark were the best games by far

i HATED TopGear Rally so much i cried about it at night :v: :v:

[cough]Superman 64[/cough]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

sin and punishment and Perfect Dark.Space Station Silicon Valey....that was weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

anyone remember carmageddon 64....that was awful.the n64 had some really really awful games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

goldeneye hands down

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

wave race was a great game too. command and conquer...god that was poor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If you like wrestling try to find wwf no mercy. Excellent game. Obviously Mario 64 and Pilotwings. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron is truly amazing. Both Zelda games. Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Without a shadow of a doubt, the game I went back to most often was Lylat Wars. If you can only get one game, then it has to be Mario 64 but after that Lylat Wars should be top of your list.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Blast Corps and Wave Race deserve a mention (although the PAL wave race conversion is attrocious).
    never really liked wave race (had good looking water though lol) was there a difference in the pal version?what was it
    and yet still i bought the gc version which was more of the same lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I can't believe nobody has said "SNOWBOARD KIDS!" yet. An absolute 4 player classic.

1huge1 wrote:
    never really liked wave race (had good looking water though lol) was there a difference in the pal version?what was it

It was much slower than the NTSC version which is a sin in a Racing game or beat'em up. Also there was no attempt at reducing or getting rid of the PAL borders.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved the Rare stuff, which is a damn sight quicker than typing the titles in, spent the last few years collecting them and its a cosy thought that they are all safe and warm in my games room!
    Seriously though, Diddy Kong Racing is amazing, even now, really need to see a DS version.
    DonkeyKong64 was too big for its own good.
    I liked Top Gear Overdrive, once you had the expansion pack, and Beetle Adventure Racing was enjoyable, on a console not renowned for its realistic racers.
    Glover is fun too, as Rogue Squadron, not bad, Battle of Naboo sucks though.
    Pilot Wings still is a very beautiful title, along with Need4Speed on the 3D0 you can play it now and unwind just messing around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Zelda: Majora's Mask is a really quirky take on the series. Quite short, but replayable by design and full of fun side quests and secret bits. It needs an expansion pak to run, but it's well worth tracking it down.

Space Station Silicon Valley and Rocket: Robot on Wheels are really under rated 3D platformers. Featuring imaginative level design, intelligent puzzles and even actual platforming, they're both far superior to any of Rare's stupidly big, empty collect-a-thons.

Quake 2 is a really fast, slick FPS that's great in multiplayer, but yeah, it's Quake 2. And Forsaken is Descent, but it scores points for calling on every single button on the controller and still being wonderfully playable.

Also, as people have said: Pilotwings, Diddy Kong Racing, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Blast Corps and Snowboard Kids, which is adorable and has Paperboy bits where you shoot snowmen.

Advertisement