Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rayhoon

Options
  • 17-12-2005 6:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

I’d been talking to him all night, as usual. My garlic bread had become hard, lying in a congealed pool of butter flecked with green. I still don’t wholly understand the concept of parsley in garlic butter, but it’s traditional now, and Sharwoods would probably go out of business without it. He noticed that my eyes were blue… he said it to me when the others had gone outside for a smoke. It disturbed me, if I’m honest. I had figured that I could keep the attraction to myself, let it be one-sided. His messages were more mixed than individual strands of spaghetti on meatball day in the canteen. But I was getting this funny vibe that he wanted it to be more like the two of us alone than the entire gang out for a meal. I tried to psychoanalyse whether I was just transferring my feelings onto him, but I realised it was too late at night to do that, especially with some drink and very little food in me. I leaned over to pick up my bag, having cleverly stashed it under my chair, and when sitting upright again, I over-balanced. And he caught me. It was like someone had choreographed it, I remember thinking how cheesy and “chick-flick” romantic it was. He just looked at me as then they came back in from outside with dessert on their minds, dulled by wine and good Italian food, noticing nothing as we both looked sheepish. John made some stupid comment and everyone laughed except me. They all asked if I was ok. I passed it off as tiredness, something they could all relate to too.

I feel like I’m fourteen again, liking the guy that my friend “met” at the last teeny-bopper disco, except this time it’s more serious. This time he isn’t just a random bloke, he’s her ex-fiance, her best friend, and I’m… crazy. Caroline told me that she was surprised nothing had happened between us by now, but we’re not like that… I’m not like that. For once in my quiet, staid, well behaved little life, I wish I was like that! For some stupid reason I think I can see him everywhere, even when he's not there. It’s this nasty little crush thing again. I’d be mad to indulge it, right?

But a little taste couldn’t hurt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Custom22

Blush_01 wrote:
    My garlic bread had become hard, lying in a congealed pool of butter flecked with green.

Pah, enough of this. Filthy filthy euphemism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I didn't even get that... sorry, completely not intended!

That said, ewwww! Very much not what I was implying, it was simply a comment on bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭cjs19

I liked it. There was a good sense of tension there and I liked the over balanced part, it really captures it.
    "His messages were more mixed than individual strands of spaghetti on meatball day in the canteen," this could maybe do with a rehash, it's a mouthful, excuse the pun, and the food imagery tends to douse the mood if you know what I'm getting at? I know theres an Italian theme going on, but meatballs arent romantic. Try Biscotti Zenzero maybe, Ginger Biscuits? Just a suggestion.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I do hope there is more to this, I am enjoying the possibilities of where this is going...though predictable,
    its a good start ;)

Advertisement