Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good for games?

Options
  • 16-12-2005 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Trying to buy a lappy, but it has to be capable of at least comfortably running newish games. Are these two any good?

Centrino 1.6ghz
    DVD/CD RW Drive
    40Gb
    1Gb RAM (2 x 512mb modules)
    Infrared
    2 x USB
    32mb ATI Radeon
    14.1" SXGA screen
    ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 AGP
    Modem
    Wireless internet LAN card
    XP Home with COA
    Dell carry case

Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz
    512mb RAM
    DVD/CDRW combo drive
    40Gb hard drive
    Built in WiFi wireless internet
    14" Screen
    32mb ATi Radeon Mobility 7400 graphics
    Good batteries
    Dell carry cases

XP Home with COA

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Neither will play any new games at all for that matter actually.

Sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Neither will play any new games at all for that matter actually.

Sorry :D

Not even CSS or anything? Thanks :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You can't have a Mobility if you plan on playing new games.
    a 32MB graphics card? I bought one about 3 years ago and it certainly wasn't the highest you could get then either.
    Laptops just ain't designed for gaming.

Cianos wrote:
    Not even CSS or anything? Thanks :v:

I don't know about CSS. A 32mb Mobility is basically, one hell of a crap card for gaming. I don't think it would work, afaik Half Life 2 and its mods require a minimum of a Gf3 Ti or the like - which is well above a 32mb mobility.

You'd be able to run older games grand, like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Soldier of Fortune II, Vietcong, etc...nothing new will work unfortunately.

However with a better card that Centrino could be nice for modern gaming :)

I wouldn't touch the p4 1.8 if I were you, especially if you want to game.

Thanks again guys. So, with a better graphics card the Centrino would be nice for gaming...how much would the graphics card cost, and after that would I be just better off to buy a new machine altogether?

• Advertisement

You'd prob need buy a new one. GFx aren't easily upgradable in Lappies!

If you want it for modern gaming, you are going to have to accept you're going to pay alot of money.

A 128mb mobility x700 would be the miniumum you should be looking for, and even with that it's not great at the newest games at all. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend?

I'd be willing to spend around 800, dont mind it being 2nd hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

The minimum your going to be looking for is a 64meg ATI X300. My bro just got his Acer with this GFX card and CSS is flying along at decent settings :). We havent tried BF2 but i think on low settings we should be alright. Also, you will need 1gig of ram for the likes of BF2.

The minimum your going to be looking for is a 64meg ATI X300. My bro just got his Acer with this GFX card and CSS is flying along at decent settings :). We havent tried BF2 but i think on low settings we should be alright. Also, you will need 1gig of ram for the likes of BF2.

So what kind of price range dyou think id be looking at in order to get a competent gaming lappy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Well new i would say your looking at 1000-1300

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

For what it's worth I'm able to play HL2 on my Dell D600.
    1.6 Centrino, 512 RAM (2x 256), ATI 9000 - 32mb

Didn't think it would work as well as it did. Needs to have all the effects turned down but still plays very well.

But try playing FEAR on that! Every setting low, hardly overly future proof!

Laptops for gaming are a big no no unless you really have cash to burn.

Can I question why you'd want a lappy for gaming as opposed to a desktop?

For the price of a good future proofed gaming lappy, you could easily afford a work suitable lappy and a decent desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

@OP - the first spec indicated (Centrino 1.6 etc.) is pretty much that of a standard DELL D600 (between £330 and £400 on eBay), and as posted above, that will run up to 1-year-old-ish game reasonably well, and even some more recent ones (but try the demos first to be sure).

Forget the second one (7400? :confused: - going by ATI's name 'codes', that sounds pretty old, unless it's actually mobo-integrated graphics and that's even worse, since 'integrated graphics' that will eat into your main RAM and perform worse than a dedicated acceperator for the same amount of VRAM or more).

To those who have posted about FEAR and BF2, please bear in mind that these two games are about as gfx- and resource-intensive as games get these days, and that a lot of other games still being released to this day have setup options that will make them more than playable even on the above spec: as posted above, a Boardsie runs HL2 fine on his D600, and I'll second that with

* the CoD2 demo (800x600, medium detail, no AA, and 35 FPS+ )
    * the Grand Prix Legends demo (800x600, medium detail, no AA, and 40 FPS+)
    * Star Wars Battlefront (1024x768, medium detail, no AA, and 35-40 FPS)
    * Operation Flashpoint (1024x768, full detail, 50 FPS+)
    * LFS S2 Alpha P (1024x768, full detail, 50 FPS+)

on my D600 (1.6, 512 RAM, ATI M9 32MB).

Per Mobile Infantry's post, for your budget, you're better off grabbing yourself a decent desktop rig that you'll be able to upgrade time and again and a lappie for whatever-you-need-the-lappie-for, but not gaming. If you must game with the lappie ( :D ), then grab some older stuff, i.e. CS 1.6 used to run peachy on my C600 (PIII 750, 256 RAM, ATI 8MB gfx).

My €0.02 :)

Advertisement