Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldie...Carolyn, 95-97

• 16-12-2005 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I've a feeling this thread will die fast, seems to be all young whippersnappers on here. Anyway, if there's anyone from the good old days out there, when Abie was still strutting around with a large camera around his neck and an interesting hat, when one of the american kids got hooked on Jolt and had to be weaned off it with caffeine pills, when...eh, yeah, when lots of stuff happened, I'll stop the flashback now shall I?

Carolyn Stapleton, nerdy converse-wearing red-head.

World Geopolitics '95
    International Relations '96
    Psychology '97

I'm not entirely sure I've got those in the right order. It was a long time ago.

Anyone? Anyooooonnnnneeeee? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I too know Abie, we've got that much in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

Nope, sorry!
    I'm one of these whipper-snappers you so fondly jest! Though, I'm a Nev now and feel way too old to be still considered as such..:( Damn my senility!!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

I'll stop the flashback now shall I?

Don't! We enjoy CTYI folklore and tales of the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

ya!! wisdomness nd all!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bonzo82

Awww, I feel less oldie and more 'elder' now! Ta. What's a 'nevermore' by the way? I keep seeing the word mentioned in different threads.
    Undergod, I wouldn't say I actually know Abie, but having been there at the same time, it was hard not to know who he was! He was certainly conspicuous on campus with his choice of accessories and of course, his...ahem...charming manner...ahem!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

A never-more is someone who has reached the past it age of 16 and as such can no longer attend ctyi courses (sob). And bring on more old stories!

Yeah, the penny dropped while I was brushin my teeth this morning strangely enough. I was so upset when I got too old for CTYI! I kinda had to get over it though, considering I was doing my leaving cert that summer anyway!

Pass me my pipe and slippers...it's storytime children...

No, seriously though, I can't think of any stories exciting enough to tell ye seeing as they'll all centre around people ye don't know! We just got up to the same kind of frolics you did I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

No, no, we're easily excited. Do tell...*sits cross-legged on the floor with expectant look*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Lookie lookie, someone who was there before my time. We don't get many like that around these parts. In fact I think there's only 2 others around my era (98-00) who've posted a thread here.

Welcome anyway, do not be afraid. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Pre-me too. 98-01 really then 03-05 in work related bits.

• Advertisement

I have never felt soooo ooooold!:D Ta for the welcome, I had hoped to find some fellow oldie on here, I've lost touch with pretty much everyone I used to know from CTY, but it looks like I'm outa luck! I'm probably the only one with the time on my hands to be trawling boards like this!

I'm still not gonna tell any old CTYI stories! :p

*runs away quickly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

bonzo82 wrote:
    I've a feeling this thread will die fast, seems to be all young whippersnappers on here. Anyway, if there's anyone from the good old days out there, when Abie was still strutting around with a large camera around his neck and an interesting hat, when one of the american kids got hooked on Jolt and had to be weaned off it with caffeine pills, when...eh, yeah, when lots of stuff happened, I'll stop the flashback now shall I?

World Geopolitics '95
    Psychology '97

I'm not entirely sure I've got those in the right order. It was a long time ago.

And greetings fellow oldie:

Enda McCabe
    Media & Communications '93
    World Geopolitics '94
    Economics '95
    and
    RA '98

I feel bleddy ancient :(

Yesss!! One older than me!! Your name sounds really familiar, I suppose we may have crossed paths in '95! I tend to remember names, even if nothing else...

bonzo82 wrote:
    Yesss!! One older than me!! Your name sounds really familiar, I suppose we may have crossed paths in '95! I tend to remember names, even if nothing else...
    Your name sounds familiar alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

bonzo82 wrote:

World Geopolitics '95
    Psychology '97

I was in your class for possibly two of those, Carolyn - Geopolitics and Pyschology. I was there '93 to '97. But I wasn't that memorable I expect. I had glasses, the name David and an air of general stupidity and cluelessness, as I recall.

I have heroically managed to retain all of the above :rolleyes:

Ah, see, I knew the oldies were hanging out here, just too ashamed to show their wizened faces. David, I'm afraid I don't recall you from your description, but I'm sure we may well have spoken. Do you actually remember me or are you just going on the years/classes? I was always on the first session anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

Yay! The elders have united!!! It warms me 'eart knowin that I still may be friends with all ye in ten years time :D Bring on the reunification!!!

bonzo82 wrote:
    Ah, see, I knew the oldies were hanging out here, just too ashamed to show their wizened faces. David, I'm afraid I don't recall you from your description, but I'm sure we may well have spoken. Do you actually remember me or are you just going on the years/classes? I was always on the first session anyway.

I do remember you I think! But I'd be much too shy to say hi because it'd be one of those half-formed memories in the drizzle on westmoreland street where I'd probably kind of smile and kind of awkwardly half-wave and get flustered and furiously examine my shoes. Then I'd have to take shelter in Freebird and look through dusty secondhand vinyl for a while. I'd buy something nice by Smog and go home and make a cup of tea and listen to it. It'd make me feel better and feel that smiles are good things to send to the world and maybe that life is probably kind of okay.

See you around though ;)

Aww, bless. I do exactly the same thing when I see someone I half know, I'm sure most people do. It always is in that Westmoreland/D'Olier/Dame St area that I see ex-CTY heads too! Funny that. Now I'm all curious and I want to know what you look like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

emcc wrote:

I feel bleddy ancient :(
    And to make ya feel MOR acient the aformantioned Abie was my TA in 2001...and has since moved on...
    And i'm a nevermore at this stage too...sob!

N G-course ill still talk 2 ya in 10 years xXx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bimm

Well, Abie still has a great hat.....but oooo Enda with hair? (If there's a hell I'll see you there?) Those days are long gone! Hello Stranger! I do believe VG 19A might stir a few memories!! Americans getting locked into the computer building and search parties being sent into the 'mun. Friskiness in stairwells - though that could be later.
    Carolyn, I'm not too sure I remember you - could well do. David - need more to go on on that one.
    I'm Boz - not sure when I was there, definitely 1995, possibly '94 and I think a double whammy in 1996. Philosophy, Global Economics, Astronomy.
    I was an RA in '99-thanks to Creegan I got Tango'ed and we both ended up looking like Oompaloopahs! I'm curious to see what other folks out there remember the good old days but are only looking on....

Bimm wrote:
    Well, Abie still has a great hat.....but oooo Enda with hair? (If there's a hell I'll see you there?) Those days are long gone! Hello Stranger! I do believe VG 19A might stir a few memories!! Americans getting locked into the computer building and search parties being sent into the 'mun. Friskiness in stairwells - though that could be later.
    Carolyn, I'm not too sure I remember you - could well do. David - need more to go on on that one.
    I'm Boz - not sure when I was there, definitely 1995, possibly '94 and I think a double whammy in 1996. Philosophy, Global Economics, Astronomy.
    I was an RA in '99-thanks to Creegan I got Tango'ed and we both ended up looking like Oompaloopahs! I'm curious to see what other folks out there remember the good old days but are only looking on....

Frank and Lucy?? And there was me thinking that my memory was shot

Whats the story boz, how did you stumble over this site? What part of the world are you in theses days?

Bimm wrote:
    David - need more to go on on that one.

Ha. Well, didn't you come see The Bad Plus with me and Hugh and Fearghus a couple of months ago? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Probability and Chaos Theory? Now there's a course I wish I was offered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Ditto that! :rolleyes:

Advertisement