Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cdrw/dvd drive going MIA

Options
  • 15-12-2005 11:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This has happened to me a few times now, more in the last week than ever.
    Basically, my Laptop sometimes doesn't recognise that there is a cdrw/dvd drive there at all. It's not external, it's built in, so I can't figure out where the problem is.
    There is power going to the drive as it opens, closes and I can hear it reading the discs (and the led goes on when it does). It just doesn't show up in my computer, or anywhere else (so if I try to play a cd in iTunes, it won't realise there's one there).
    Restarting the computer usually solves the problem, until the next time.

Anyone know what the issue could be? It's a HP compaq, win xp pro.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Have you tried getting the latest chipset drivers off the HP website?
    Does the drive boot on cd, if it does then it is an issue with the driver for the drive controller in windows, you might have to do a windows reinstall to fix it if there are no updated chipset drivers, or the new ones dont help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

@flogen

Is the cd/rw drive a new addition to laptop recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Some thing similar used to happen to my desktop.for no good reason part of the cable had began to move away fron the connection plug. do you get me? I just had to replace the cable. harder to do on a laptop, worse if you check it and its not the problem.

Advertisement