Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

180 degree french doors

Options
  • 15-12-2005 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

For the life of me, not sure why I ASSUMED:rolleyes: :rolleyes: that I could have PVC french doors what would open 180 degrees (so I can attached to external walls and leave open in summer) - it appears that no-one does them!!!!

Anyone any ideas?

Yop - help me out again, please!!!

Ciao fellow builders

Pitsy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

pitstop wrote:
    For the life of me, not sure why I ASSUMED:rolleyes: :rolleyes: that I could have PVC french doors what would open 180 degrees (so I can attached to external walls and leave open in summer) - it appears that no-one does them!!!!

Anyone any ideas?

Yop - help me out again, please!!!

Ciao fellow builders

Pitsy

Hi pitstop

I know I'm slightly off beam here but it might get you scratching the head in the right way. Recently hung wooden double french doors (ie 4 doors the width of 2 standard doors in total), but internal. When doors closed they were not flush with, but recessed half the wall thickness. After experimenting with rising butt hinges (because they split in two), cutting the "rise" out of them and welding plates to extend the hinge point, I came upon very heavy brass (Mary street opp dodds paint €16 each) hinges with the hinge point extended to throw the door "around the corner". So maybe it's just a question of the right hinge ??
    That shop has a few catalogues he'll let you browse through for pvc / aluminium doors

t

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

Tapest

Thanks a million for this - this is certainly the type of info I am looking for!

Pitsy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

i think there called parliment hinges btw.they come in a few different sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

Thanks Fli

I just asked one of our carpenters about the hinges and he agrees - although he won't do the job!! I was hoping that I could go to somewhere like Munster Joinery and get them installed but not a hope!

Pitsy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Im guessing for PVC doors at least, they would need to be supplied by the manufacturer.
    I havent seen these hinges on any external doors ever...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't forget you will need some sort of clip fixed to the outer wall to hold the doors back when in the fully open position.They use them all the time here in France to hold back the shutters. Even a mild breeze could cause an expensive breakage.

Advertisement