Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best board for Opteron 146 and AGP?

Options
  • 15-12-2005 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭

I need to get a socket 939 motherboard that supports AGP and will let me get the most out of the Opteron cpu. I've got Mushkin Level 1 ram at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭biofreak

You can buy an ASUS A8V Deluxe Mainboard Socket 939 that supports AGP for £76 which is €112 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

DFI are always a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Does anyone have any experience of the AsRock Dual?

Cheap board that supports AGP and PCI express, and is meant to perform brilliantly.

Having the PCI express slot would be handy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I just bought an opteron 146 and an DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=310787&cks=PRL this is supposed to be the best board around if you dont want to go SLI... €146 overclockers board which you should get with an opteron cause they overclock very well...

I need a board that supports AGP, as I don't want to upgrade my videocard yet, so that DFI is out of the question unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I think that the consensus was that the MSI k8n neo2 platinum was the best agp mobo for overclocking. They are kinda hard to get now though and can (supposedly) be finicky. Lots of faqs and modded bios's etc though.

My own is acting weird so have to rma it (unusual power issue) but i find it such a nice board I went out and bought another one (got it from pixmania and they sent me the wireless 54g version for the same price as the normal) approx €122.

There is a cut down version (no firewire and nforce 3 25ogb instead of ULTRA) available on komplett for around €80.

The only other board that was in any way tempting for me was the AsRock Dual Sata2 mobo (€56 on jes.de). This seems to be a sweet little board and takes either AGP or PCI express, so is really cool. What put me off getting it is that Asrock support is only through retailer (not through the euro office) so I'd have had to send the board back to germany if anything went wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=303412&cks=PRL

I've got that board and it's deadly. Solid with the FSB up to about 315mhz. I stopped trying when I got to there, since it was no use to me anyway with processor topping out at 265x9 and ****ty Corsair XMS holding back the memory overclock.

Pretty cheap board, totally rock solid. I know 2 other people with it, they have no problems either. Both stable above 300 mhz FSB.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. That Asrock got too tempting though so i've got one hopefully arriving in a week or so.

Just hoping my ram wont hold me back too much!

Advertisement