Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold on bathroom walls

Options
  • 15-12-2005 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,

How do I get rid of fairly extensive balck mold on painted bathroom walls? A bit of CIF and elbow grease or should I treat it with something before I repaint?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Before you re-paint it might be a good idea to check your ventilation, mold in bathrooms is usually caused by condensation.

Maybe a good quality electric vent would prevent most of the steam settling on the walls, AFAIK bleech will remove the mold.

A less harmfull method would be Sugar Soap for cleaning the walls and ceiling.

mad m may have a better solution for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

Hi,

How do I get rid of fairly extensive balck mold on painted bathroom walls? A bit of CIF and elbow grease or should I treat it with something before I repaint?

thanks.
    I need to do this too, and I was recommended a mould-inhibiting paint called Steracryl. Does anyone have experience of the product and its effectiveness? (See URL for details)

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/techdata/m/MST/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

gonk wrote:
    I need to do this too, and I was recommended a mould-inhibiting paint called Steracryl. Does anyone have experience of the product and its effectiveness? (See URL for details)

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/techdata/m/MST/

Yeah that link to the paint looks ok to me,it is totally non toxic and water based paint.I was always told that you can use bleach to wipe away mould,bleach kills it instantly and wipes it away,but as soon as direct sun light hits area again it will bring on the mould again.Dont ask me why, cant remember but was always told this in tech.Oh I think the sun brought on growth again etc.

Rooferpete is right with ventilation,you need good ventilation in a bathroom.I think Mcphersons used to be on Camden street opposite Bleeding horse pub, but they have a sign up on shop now which says "Crown",I think you can still purchase Mcphersons paint there.

Seen a program once,the mould was so bad in a bathroom that it had festered into the plaster to an extent that it had to be hacked off and re-plastered.Before applying the paint suggested in the link, I'd give walls a good wash down with a fungicidal Wash.

Advertisement