Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Plasterboard?

Options
  • 15-12-2005 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what plasterboard people have used/going to use. I want good accoustic performance, and I would prefer the thicker boards, as there is a greater strenght in them. I'm more familiar with qypsum products. Has anyone used Soundbloc? Is it worth the price or would you be better double slabbing. Is there any better options. I'd prefer not to double slab as my house is a large timberframe, and there'll be enough work putting up the 300+ slabs once. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I can't speak for soundbloc but I know that double slabbing is great, not only from a sound POV but also from a rigidity point of view.
    any walls which were double slabbed feel way more rigid than single slabbed ones.
    Even if you only double slab one side it makes an appreciable difference.
    also try and source some acoustic felt to staple to the ceiling,floor and wall plates as it makes a big difference too.
    Have you got an automatic feed screwgun?
    If not I suggest purchasing one ,it will pay for itself in time saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

In agreement with CJ double slabbing in my experience is worth the hassle. Remember if you are putting in door framing to get it 1" wider to accommodate the double slab on both side. Assuming the slabs are 1/2"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tcoen

double slabbing would also increase thermal mass, no harm in a timberframe

Advertisement