Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a or an?

Options
  • 15-12-2005 12:04pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When writing, you use 'an' before a word beginning with a vowel and 'a' before a word beginning with a consonant. Before a consonant sound/vowel sound is still to be determined.
    What I want to know is, is this a strict gramatical rule when writing.
    Many writers use 'an' before h, even when not silent, when the word is not accented on the first syllable and in other cases would just use 'a'.
    In everyday conversation we say things like 'a European' or 'an M&M', this is because our speech is dictated by vowel and consonant sounds and not the actual first letter of a word. English spelling does not coincide closely with the sound of words.
    If I was to say 'you are an unique person' or 'you are an European' it would sound odd compared to replacing 'an' with 'a'.
    So when writing, should one follow the way we speak or should one stick to using 'a' before all consonants and 'an' before all vowels.
    Are the spoken and written word different? Should I write, 'an' European or 'a' European?
    Is it a grammatical rule when writing that I do this? So basically, does the written word follow sounds above actual first letters? Is it the way that we speak now that determines how we write?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'd go with what I'd say in most cases tbh. But maybe that's just me.

A European.

But I wouldn't always stick to that - I might write "an historic agreement" if I wanted to sound pedantic.

Hmm, time to check a style guide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Style guides vary but yes, when writing abook I would have to go by what style guide they want it written by, I guess.
    Hmm, going through this in my mind, the answer is very complicated...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think the convention is to write it the way it's said. This is because written language is a record of spoken language, so, if you say a European, it's because the sound at the start of the word "European" is consonental (y).

Whereas, with an M&M, the starting sound is a vowel (eh), so use "an".

It wouldn't surprise me if there are varying schools of thought on this, but it's generally just write what it sounds like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sounds ok to me.... you wouldn't say "give me an Smartie" even though it starts with a consonant....

Ah... don't let it get to you

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds like a consonant -> a
    Sounds like a vowel -> an

"Sm" (Smartie) is a consonant sound -> a smartie
    "Aar" (Aardvark) is a vowel sound -> an aardvark

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, I just wanted to know do we write as we speak when writing technically or are the rules of language there to be adhered to.
    If you use slang in an essay then it is looked on as incorrect, maybe this is the same.
    Style guides are all you need though when writing a book so well, it won't annoy me too much.
    I have always written an before all vowels as I don't pronounce the word when writing and because it just comes naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Never noticed before. That's pretty weird.. Best explanation is the if it sounds like a vowel use an etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Was reading Jane Austen there the other day - she puts an before h no matter what the sound but then again, she's old skooool.

Just like me, high five Jane, we go way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dédé

As a non English native speaker I have phonetics classes in English.
    You say a European because it starts with a written vowel, you're right, but the sound is what's called a /j/ (pronounced yod), and it's a semi vowel, so you have to consider it as a consonnant. Just like you say the one (pronounced THE and not THEE) because /w/ is also a semi vowel. In fact, /j/ and /w/ are glides.
    Hope it will be of some help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I love any site that uses poppycock, \o/
    Unfortunately there are many sites on grammar and they all thave their own view.
    Frankly, I'll do what I want. Style guides can go to hell. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

We were discussing something along these lines with a lexicographer in class a few days ago. As you know, Hiberno-English and English vary in some pronunciations - accent can explain Austen's use of an before every "h" (apparently the correct pronunciation of "h", harking back to my old speech and drama lessons is "aitch" anyway!). Yet we say a hard "h" most of the time. Whatever sounds best is usually the right one. To be honest, in an academic forum where you'd be judged on the differences between use of a and an in written work, if they're pedantic enough to mark you down for something as flexible as a or an when either could be correct, I'd be surprised. Now, if it's a case where the answer is obvious and you are wrong, that's different. Just my 2c.

Advertisement