Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY General Help/Info Please

Options
  • 15-12-2005 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hello,
    Just bought a house... its new so have a few non-major things to sort out:

Tiling Kitchen
    Installing Cooker (gas hob, elec oven)
    Install Washing Machine
    Wooden Flooring (downstairs)
    Prep already installed wooden floor upstairs
    Install/run cables for entertainment/computer

Now I am not a total acedemic and am good with my hands but I would really like to know what resources are out there to help me do these things the "right" way. In terms of either online resources or reading material...

I plan on blogging my first major venture into this DIY lark so that should make for some interesting reading ;-)

Cheerz
    A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

"Reader's Digest Complete DIY Manual" would be a good place to start.
    It covers most topics quite well and there are plenty of photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi aloleary

We just went through what you going through. We had the same stuf to do... all I can say is pick your battles. All depends when you want to get in and what you can live with...

With me I have a family and children so the really I have to get things done asap. (+ we were renting)

We paid for a tiler to do the bathrooms, Kitchen, Ensuite, but we did the back splash ourselves....

I installed the Dishwasher, Washer, Dryer, Oven, thats stuff is pretty simple if its alreay plummed. + the American fridge I plummed in the water (Had to get the gas man to connect the Hob) I dont mess with Gas.

With the floors Upstairs T&G I considered doing the 5 bedrooms myself but that would have taken me about 3 w/e + the hire or the sander + the stain and the mess.
    I hired a the company who did you show house, 900 euros done in a day and no mess. great Job.

Floor downstairs I managed to get free installation for the 3 rooms, but Click laminate looks really easy to install, I recon I could have done that.

I have done all the electrics myself. ie all the light fittings replacements

We still have 1 ensuite to do so I will do that next year as we dont use that room yet.

Get youself a good cordless drill, a decent set of bits (wood Brick metal) and good set of screwdrivers + 1 electric screwdriver, Good set of pliers and a few other basic tools and your ready to go.

good luck

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭thehotstepper

Yeah first thing to do is get that book. Its very good. Jus to clarify on Garyh3's post, among the tools recommended he doesnt mean an electrical screwdriver but a screwdriver with a bulb for testing whether something has power or not. You should get into the swing of it after a few months, but I must say it will take a long while before you start getting a nice finish on things. DIY is such that your always learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I have seen the Collins Manual for Diy getting glowing reviews in here, another tool that may save you a lot of problems is a Stud Finder.

Stanley make a very handy one that shows electric cables, timber studs and pipes behind the dry lined walls.

Work safely, clean up as you go, it also helps to look back and be able to see what you have achieved.

Best of luck in your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

a screwdriver with a bulb for testing whether something has power or not.
    A "phase tester" if you are looking for it in the shops...
    also get a set of screwdrivers, some jobs just need the manual touch

Dont use flat head screws at all.
    Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Pretty much same story as GaryH3 ...
    ... except

We carpeted the stairs, landing and bedrooms. It seemed to me the quickest easiest & cheapest option. I decided that i at least needed to be retiring to clean warm finished room at the end of each day while i was doing the other bits and pieces - downstairs flooring etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Cheers for the replies...

I do will be staying well away from any Gas related installations but will prob make a good go at everything else... even T&G floors...

-A

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

get yourself a small pack of plasters - not saying your clumsy but there is nothing as annoying as grazing a knuckle or cutting a finger and not having a plaster to seal the cut rather than putting blood all walls tools etc while you walk around the house looking for some sellotape or insulating tape to do a temporary job

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

I've done/am doing the same as the OP

All of the above advice is spot on.

I would recommend that you use tiles with a smooth finish if you're DIYing them. More forgiving than slate effect.

DIY is time consuming so I would agree with the person who got upstairs fixed up first and the other guy who paid for certain tasks ie .the floor.

Overall i'm doing a decent job (modest) but it is slow when you are away from home for over 12 hours per day 5/6 days per week (we still have a bathroom with pink carpet and blue walls:confused: )

Best of luck

Advertisement