Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to request a hosted forum?

Options
  • 15-12-2005 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to get a forum set up, but judging by the feedback from a few other posters, it looks to be a non-runner.

I saw this in the FAQ, but it was posted in 2002 and I am not too sure if it still applies. I couldn't find the Admin bulletin board mentioned - can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks,

Eoin
    Cloud wrote:
    How can I apply for a Community Board?

boards.ie now provides a Community Boards service whereby we are hosting boards dedicated to groups or organisations, clans etc. This new service utilises the existing member base, and can be accessed at www.boards.ie/community. To apply for a community board, the following procedure must be followed. The example quoted is for "Irish Buffy Fans". Add a message to the Admin bulletin board with the subject "ADD COMMUNITY - Irish Buffy Fans". The text of the message should be of the following form:

You will need the support of 5 members (including yourself) for the board to be approved by an Admin. They must post replies to the initial request - that's one initial post and four replies. At this stage, we will either approve or deny this request, setting the Community Moderator to the person who initiated the request. Under the "Community" heading, private forums are listed under the "Private" section and public forums under "Community". Since each forum request is dealt with manually by one of our administrators, please note that the time delays involved in bringing up a board are unavoidable. Moderators for private forums can add are remove access to their forum via the Mod CP.

Boards that are not being utilised will be recycled. To change any of the details submitted for a board, post a message to Admin with the subject "MODIFY COMMUNITY - Irish Buffy Fans". Alternatively, if the board is no longer being used, post a "DELETE COMMUNITY - Irish Buffy Fans" subject message using the account initially used to create the community.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kaimera wrote:

Thanks :) - my initial request is there, but it looks like the forum won't be created as a normal forum, so I was wondering how to get a Community / Hosted forum set up instead as it doesn't seem to require as much support

I assume you change the title to Community/Hosted forum and look for support that way.

get a mod/admin to close the current thread as to avoid duplicates and link to the old one for your initial request.

kaimera wrote:
    I assume you change the title to Community/Hosted forum and look for support that way.

get a mod/admin to close the current thread as to avoid duplicates and link to the old one for your initial request.

Thanks again Kaimera :)

eoin_s wrote:
    Thanks again Kaimera :)

w00t! a thank you :v:

np :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Steveire

The admin board was renamed Help some time back (some time in 2004), and the Admin category was renamed System. I think the www.boards.ie/community link directed to the community category (today called hosted), you can see the forum list here from 2002.

From what I see of the forums forum, that criteria of just five interested members no longer applies. I gather there were a lot of Counterstrike clans and the likes that got forums in those days.

Steveire wrote:
    The admin board was renamed Help some time back (some time in 2004), and the Admin category was renamed System. I think the www.boards.ie/community link directed to the community category (today called hosted), you can see the forum list here from 2002.

So, after all that - the "forums" forum was the right place after all!

Thanks for the help folks. I have PM'd an admin, and asked that the request be edited. If I get banned sometime soon, then you know why :D

Advertisement