Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joist laid acoustic barriers..

Options
  • 14-12-2005 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I want to put a plywood deck into the attic - and potentially use it in the future for more than just storage (yet not a fully fledged conversion).

How effective are joist laid acoustic barriers? Anyone used them? Are there different types of this product out there and what does it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

One system that was extensively in the UK was to fit a track over the joists and fit rockwool insulation in panels between the joists.

The track was set in a product similar to silicone which acted like a sponge when the floor was fitted.

I can't recall the name of the system but you might find it using Google because it did two jobs, one was noise reduction and the other was fireproofing.

Maybe a call to ATIL or similar insulation suppliers will provide the information you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tcoen

Screw & glue down the plywood. consider putting underlay and carpet on top. Wood fibre insulation between the joist would be good. Put a heavy plasterboardas the ceiling downstairs. You can buy rubber matting / wood fibre board to use as an underlay as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tcoen

Has anyone seen the use of resilient metal channels that the plasterboard downstairs is then attached to so that it is not directly attached to the joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Metal track for ceilings and partitions is usually used in commercial applications like hotels, they appear to work well but are different to slabbing a ceiling direct to timber joists.

I think Gypsum and Lafarge both stock the system you are describing, a good self feeding screw gun is a must.

Advertisement