Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagorise yourself?

Options
  • 14-12-2005 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Firstly im pretty sure I spelled that word wrong,
    seconfly is there any chance that if I wuote a bit of me yessay on boards I could get done for plagarising off the internet despite me being sandals?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

eh no you can't plagiarise yourself.
    Anybody care to seconfly that?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'll seconf that.

Why not put a copyright notice (your name + date) on the posts...?

Are you EVD-Burner? or related?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

but how would the lecturer know that I am sandals?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If he questioned you then you could log in in front of him or post personal information that only you know about him from seducing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

eh no you can't plagiarise yourself.

Oh yes you can. Publishing the same thing more than once without proper citation. There were a few IEEE articles about it over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

copyright your name,2005 damnit. Not your nick. You are not your nick.

.... damnit.

deRanged wrote:
    Oh yes you can. Publishing the same thing more than once without proper citation. There were a few IEEE articles about it over the summer.
    That's different no? Also I was answering his question. The answer is no. The definition of plagiarism says that it has to be somebody elses work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I had something similar happen to me. I got marked a zero for a 100% worthy project. I had basically ripped my own online document off because it was too relevant not to use. Once I explained it was me who wrote the page (with proof) I got my 100%.

That's different no?

now that I read it again, maybe.
    sandals is wondering if one could be accused of plagiarisation for copying one's own work from the internet.
    you then said "eh no you can't plagiarise yourself" - I said that you can - it's called self-plagiarisation.
    I was really only answering that point.

Maybe a more complete answer would be -
    sandals (real name) might be accused of plagiarising sandals (random internet poster) from the internet. this would be an incorrect assumption by the accuser, and relatively easily sorted out. Sandals could then be accused of self-plagiarisation. I don't think so though, as I don't think posting on boards is the same as publishing.

The hair is well and truly split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Who the f*ck is Sandals?

• Advertisement

maybe I shouold have tapped on 'in this situation' at the end of my first reply'
    Great, let's have an argument about how we both agree. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Just for arguments sake, if you were set a paper by two different lecturers, two different years, on basically the same subject, could you use Parts from the one you did before, or would you have to cite yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'm sure you could use it, you can't really steal your own ideas... they're yours.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Most colleges have a requirement that you can't duplicate material you've already submitted in another essay. So if you have the option of taking a different paper, you should do that - otherwise talk to your lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Never been informed about that policy in UCC.

Here's some info from one department in UCC - it covers plagiarism, but not self-plagiarism.

http://www.ucc.ie/academic/mgt/studentresources/plagiarism.htm

If you do a google search on self-plagiarism you'll find plenty of info on it.
    I don't know if there's a college wide policy on self-plagiarism in UCC. I'll ask tomorrow though.

Advertisement