Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New system, comments/suggestions

Options
  • 14-12-2005 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Right, I got kinda bored today whole off sick from work. So I decided it was time to retire the ole skull from this world.

I decided to put to gether a new system, with a buget of €1,500 (in and about)
    Heres the parts I have purchased.

For the Case I went with the Gigabyte GZ-FSCA1-AN Black Aluminium Body

I both this, because I seems like it has some good modding potenal. THe Aluminium body will make it easy enough to cut through. Seems like there is alot of drive room as well. So it will have plenty of room for things.

For the CPU I went with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz Socket 939 1MB. Its a Heat/sink fan boxed combo. Seeing as I will be water cooling it next year sometime, I'll not need extra air cooling on the CPU just yet. So the Box set should be ok.

For the Motherboard I went with the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe. While I dont have any personal experance with this bored. I do with ones based around intels. So I fell pretty sure of Asus as beeing the maunfacture I wanted. I have also had an A7n8xe Deluxe in my skull for about a year and a half now with out any problems. So I am quite happy to continue with them. Anyone got any personal experaince with these boards? (A8N-SLI Deluxe that is)

For the GFX Card I went with the Club3D Radeon X1800XL 256MB. I like the Radeon cards and drivers. So I am happy once again to continue using them. Seeing as I amn't play games like I used to (due to being on IBB and less time than I'd like) I think this will be more than enough.

For the System Hard Drive I went for the WDig Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM drive. I've had SCSI's as the main drive in my past few systems. However, I've decided to step away from scsi for the mean time and use a SATA drive.

For the PSU I went for the Cooler Master Real Power 550W w/Power indicator. My main reason for this.... the power indicator sounded cool :rolleyes:

The memory will be what I have in the Skull at the moment, its two 512MB Corsair XMS sticks that have served me very well so far. The Optical drive will be a NEC DVDR ND-3500AG, an other great drive that I have had in my system for a bit now. The Storage drives will be two 400gig drives. One I have had for almost a year now.. the other (a seagate) I have had for about 4 months now.. and needs to be RMA'd due to a macanical fult that happened 2 months after buying it. (why did I ever buy seagate!!!!) I have only ever had problems with them, In work and at home.

Pretty sure that should surfice for now, Interms of a monitor, I got rid of that 19" CTR I was lugging about for years and now have a 19" LG Flatron L1915s or a JVC 32" LT32DS6 :D :v: :eek: tehehehe
    The sound system is a Logitech X530 5.1 Nice system I have to say. (was a great buy for Half life 2)

So anyone have any thoughts of the over clocking on the X2 core?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think the psu is a bad choice. Also I would personally go with a dfi-nf4 mobo. They are a lot better overclocking mobos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Reviews of the PSU seem to pretty good. however I would rather if someone had some real world experance of it. That they could let me know about.

Guess I Will be letting ye know next week though :D

Advertisement