Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question concerning surnames...

Options
  • 13-12-2005 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

I'm curious. My surname is O'Sullivan. If I have a child but the mother wishes it to have the surname O'Suilleabhain do I need to change my legal name to this first or is that unnecessary?

I remember something about being not restricted to the English, or Irish, version of your surname and that you could use either legally but I might be wrong. I know there's the whole thing about name by use and repute but does this also follow onto birth certificates etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You don't need to apply to have it changed it can either be in english or irish
    the main point seems to be what name the department of socail and family affairs knows that child as all children are issued a pps from birth and that is filled in my the mother when she applies for child benifit and the name that is given to the primary school when the child is registered with them.

Don't for get if you have a girl it will be Ní Suilleabhain.

http://www.groireland.ie/faqs.htm#12
    Can I register my child's birth in Irish or in another language?

Yes. Under the Civil Registration Act, 2004, the surname of the child to be entered in the register, shall, subject to any linguistic modifications , be that of the parents of the child as stated in the register of births or of either of them or, with the agreement of An tArd-Chláraitheoir or a Superintendent Registrar, such other name as may be requested by both of the parents. This allows for an Irish version of a surname, even if the parents are known by or are themselves registered in the English version.

This is applicable in the case of all linguistic modifications, subject to verification, if necessary, that the modification is a standard or recognised practice in the language or culture concerned. As registration staff are unlikely to be familiar with every language or culture that they encounter, we advise parents who want to register a surname or version of a surname that is different to their own to bring along some proof that the surname they are choosing is common or recognised practice in their own language and/or culture (for example, a letter from an embassy (or other diplomatic agency) or from the registration service in their country or countries of origin.)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thanks Thead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Remember that the child's name will be Shúilleabháin if it's a girl and Ó Súilleabháin for a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can use both names legally AFAIK. My passport is dual English/Irish. My name is in Irish inside the cover, but there is another plasticised page that states "The bearer of this passport is also known as Engligh Name"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Opps forgot the h :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gael wrote:
    Remember that the child's name will be Shúilleabháin if it's a girl and Ó Súilleabháin for a boy.

I remember that much from school at least :)

Advertisement