Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PowerOutage earlier

Options
  • 13-12-2005 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

balls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

u lose much work? i thought it was funny, because i was eating soup at the time, and that doesnt really depend on electricty. was funny seeing everyone using their phones as torches! and the bumpage...oh the bumpage...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I lost some work. In the main building and it was great fun... everyone tripping and falling and trying to use their mobiles to see. luckily i had battery operated... christmas lights....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

We have major projects due friday and half the class were in our comp lab. I reckon there were some major curses said as its all long analysis and very tempermental software - no like the suddenoutage.

It went all the way up the road past briarfield,elm park and groody and brookfield. Think some of them are still out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

keevita wrote:
    u lose much work?

almost.

down in csis; a few emergency lights in the lab so not all bad.

frettin' over the damn project work for thursday tho; hadda wait for power to come back to try get the stuff onto my key only to find the ****ty software we have to use was down also due to it having to connect to a central server aswell [which was down]

got it in the end tho.

whole of casteltroy was affected [or so I hear]

rang my sis and my bf, yup, went out all over. we are under attack!!!!* possibly for being the d4 of limerick...

*disclaimer: we are probably not under attack. do not panic. these are just incoherent paranoid ramblings

• Advertisement

Nukem wrote:
    We have major projects due friday and half the class were in our comp lab. I reckon there were some major curses said as its all long analysis and very tempermental software - no like the suddenoutage.

engi's :rolleyes: :v:

kaimera wrote:
    down in csis;
    nerds;):v:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

*disclaimer: we are probably not under attack. do not panic. these are just incoherent paranoid ramblings

AHHHHH! its teh terrorists!!!1111one1

/me jumps out of window

we are being invaded by The Darkness!! i knew justin hawkins was a terrorist...

that was a pretty sad joke actually

apologies to justin hawkins for the bad joke

Nukem wrote:
    nerds;):v:

bastid!! :v:

least I'm not in college still wondering why the computer wont turn back on after the power outtage...

engi's ;)

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote:
    least I'm not in college still wondering why the computer wont turn back on after the power outtage...

Neither am i beatch. In the lib on a laptop - ya know that portable thing that is able to run on batteries.

Nerds:rolleyes:................think outside the box

Nukem wrote:
    Neither am i beatch. In the lib on a laptop - ya know that portable thing that is able to run on batteries.

Nerds:rolleyes:................think outside the box

there is no box...

engi's; takes 7 to make the box just so they can think outside it fs! :rolleyes:

kaimera wrote:
    engi's; takes 7 to make the box just so they can think outside it fs! :rolleyes:
    Oh.....ya cut me deep:rolleyes:
    Now get back into your box!

kaimera wrote:
    there is no box...

*Zing* on you nukem!

Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the possible designers of the human body.

One said, "It was a mechanical engineer. Just look at all the joints."

Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer. The nervous system has many thousands of electrical connections."

The last said, "Actually it was a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?''

Peteee wrote:
    *Zing*'
    *Zing*?........ WTF is *Zing*

Like the joke though:D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zing

You might be an engineer if . . .

. . . you have no life and can prove it mathematically.

. . . you enjoy pain.

. . . you know vector calculus but you can’t remember how to do long division.

. . . you chuckle whenever anyone says “centrifugal force.”

. . . you’ve actually ever used every single function on your graphing calculator.

. . . when you look in the mirror, you see an engineering major.

. . . it is sunny and 70 degrees outside, and you are working on a computer.

. . . you frequently whistle the theme song to “MacGyver.”

. . . you always do homework on Friday nights.

. . . you know how to integrate a chicken and can take the derivative of water.

. . . you think in “math.”

. . . you’ve calculated that the World Series actually diverges.

. . . you hesitate to look at something because you don’t want to break down its wave function.

. . . you have a pet named after a scientist.

. . . you laugh at jokes about mathematicians.

. . . the Humane Society has had you arrested because you actually performed the Schroedinger’s Cat Experiment.

. . . you can translate English into Binary.

. . . you can’t remember what’s behind the door in the science building which says "Exit.”

. . . you have to bring a jacket with you, in the middle of summer, because there’s a wind-chill factor in the lab.

. . . you are completely addicted to caffeine.

. . . you avoid doing anything because you don’t want to contribute to the eventual heat-death of the universe.

. . . you consider any non-science course “easy.”

. . . when your professor asks you where your homework is, you claim to have accidentally determined its momentum so precisely, that according to Heisenberg it could be anywhere in the universe.

. . . the “fun” center of your brain has deteriorated from lack of use.

. . . you’ll assume that a “horse” is a “sphere” in order to make the math easier.

. . . you understood more than five of these indicators.

. . . you make a hard copy of this list and post it on your office door.

. . . you think it might be a neat idea to send this message to all of your friends in the form of email.

. . . you know the glass is neither half full nor half empty; it's simply twice as big as it needs to be.

:v:

Proof of nerds

The fact that when they get slagged they search the internet for a witty response as they cannot make one up themselves.

D.W.Nukem,2nd Edition published by Shut the Hell up

:v::v:

*zing* back on you pete!

rofl.

I win tho. :v:

Nukem wrote:
    Proof of nerds

The fact that when they get slagged they search the internet for a witty response as they cannot make one up themselves.

D.W.Nukem,2nd Edition published by Shut the Hell up

:v::v:

Very good sir! I humbly accept defeat!

kaimera wrote:

I win tho. :v:
    Ok.If it helps you sleep at night.........:v:

• Advertisement

Nukem wrote:
    Ok.If it helps you sleep at night.........:v:

rofl. Aye, it does Nuke; the thoughts of you succumbing to me always helps me sleep. :v:

kaimera wrote:
    rofl. Aye, it does Nuke; the thoughts of you succumbing to me always helps me sleep. :v:
    *shudder* i need a shower i feel dirty:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Peteee wrote:
    . . . the Humane Society has had you arrested because you actually performed the Schroedinger’s Cat Experiment.

Hey! That's not my fault! That cat was both alive and dead at the same time until they opened the box and observed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I was in Kilmurry and people started screaming out really loudly thinking they were ****ing hilarious.

Why do students look for any reason to scream and act like monkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Its known as making the most of a bad situation.

i dont even need a reason to scream and ack like a monkey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Rozie wrote:
    thinking they were ****ing hilarious.

it probably was ****ing hilarious!:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭natter

I got to have a meeting with my FYP supervisor out in the hall in the schuman under the groovy emergency lights cos his office was pitch black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

I didn't see this thread until now.... how with it (or not) am I? :rolleyes:

The power outage extended its tentacles as far as Shannon Industrial Estate that morning... and apparently that's on the same feed as the airport, so that too would have been taken out to some extent. Kinda scary when planes are in the touchdown phase, though I'm sure the airport supplies have UPS structures in place.

It was around 11am last Tuesday (13/12) and lasted for about half an hour. The surge upon power restoration was just long enough and sharp enough to screw up a brand spanking new Sun Blade 150 that I was booting up for a newly arrived work colleague. :mad:

We'll have to appeal to all those wealthy folk with massive clusters of Christmas lights outside their houses to remove them or at least reduce their operating hours!

• Advertisement
Advertisement