Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap PC security software package (anti-spyware/virus)

Options
  • 13-12-2005 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've some friends/family who seem to have a problem with spyware and viruses.
    I need to get a cheap/free package that will protect against them.
    I've installed ad-aware, but they don't run it often.
    I'd like something that runs in the background continually protecting the PC.
    I've had a look at bitdefender which looks good.

Cheers
    Ray

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is not a security issue as it's an operating system feature - autoinstall.

Look at the computer and windows threads, there are any number of free spyware removers / blockers - firewalls etc. - have a look at the essential sw sticky.

Avoid IE if you can because I defy you to find any 3 month period during which an attacker could not take complete control of a fully patched machine using a IE expoit. [ note: some of the exploits like msblaster were open for up to 8 years ! before being patched ] So get FireFox or Opera instead. Actually avoid windows if you want to avoid spyware !

Have you set them up with guest accounts or do they (and any browser they then use) have full control ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If they don't change browser, at least put some decent settings in their Internet Zone.

Switch everything to do with ActiveX controls to off.
    Put *.microsoft.com in the Trusted Zone (though you will have to disable the https requirement for this).

You don't necessarily have to put them on a completely limited Guest account, but you should certainly change their accounts to a more limited type. What OS are they using?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I have the same problem, I've ended up supporting a few PC's around the family. I use AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, SpyBlaster, XCleaner. I have the family PC's set up with their own account and I removed most of the admin privledges. Theres a seperate admin account with a password, so they can't get into it. I also install firefox. That combination seems pretty reliable. These days when I scan the machine every couple of months I only find a handful of tracking cookies. Though a recent problem with the system clock screwed up all the auto updates. I use the free versions, but if you get the full versions they all autoupdate.

I'm trialling a 6 month license for the AVG+Firewall package on my own machine. I may upgrade the family PC's with a all in one package like that and buy the other apps too.

Advertisement