Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a laptop for ~1000euro

Options
  • 13-12-2005 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi all,
    i'm in the process of buying a laptop for the first time and i was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I want to spend less than 1000 euro but maximum 1300 euro.

Here is what im looking for:
    dvd burner is a must;
    40 - 80gig hardrive;
    512 - 1024 ram;
    memory card reader;
    maybe bluetooth;
    maybe windows media centre;
    wireless b/g;
    something that wont go obsolete quickly;
    dont care about graphic cards.

My friend had a hp pavilion 6000 i think and that seems to have everything i want but can i do better?

thanks in advance,
    colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

What size screen do you want?
    How important is portability/batt life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lynchpin

ehm, battery life is not really important. it will be plugged in most of the time.
    as for the screen, i think the normal 15inch screen would suffice. dont really mind about portability but i dont want to be carrying around the equvalent of a washing machine either.

thanks for the quick reply,
    colm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would hesitate recommending the HP Pavillion. I have a zv5000.

The screen is great, but it eats battery. I used to get 1 hr 30 mins when it had a Celeron processor. I upgraded it to a P4 3.2 and I now get about 10 mins out of it.

The laptop power supply is quite flimsy and has a tendancy to fall out from the back of the laptop. This is a major annoyance when the battery isn't in.

The hard drive is giving me trouble for the last 3 months (just out of the 1 year warranty). I did a de-frag and it appears to have messed up the drive itself. Had to re-install Windows. Now when I boot up, it asks me to do a scandisk every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

You have alot of choice then - look at the Toshiba or IBM range in www.microaid.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lynchpin

cheers for the tips lads. i like the look of the toshiba laptops.
    thanks also for the heads up about the hp laptops.

cheers again,
    colm

also, do any of ye think that i should wait till the january sales and maybe pick up a good offer somewhere then rather than buying one in the next week or two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

That's up to you but could be a good idea. I just ordered a DELL Inspiron6000 yesterday, good spec'ed machine for €940.

TC

Advertisement