Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing with an SG

Options
  • 13-12-2005 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

I'm new to the guitar and I am getting an SG. I would like to play a variety of things although admittedly mostly rock, metal and grungy type stuff. Is the SG a good guitar for playing System of a Down? And I dread asking but I would really like to play Otherside by the chillis. Could I pull it off with the SG?
    I will mostly be playing: Nirvana, System, The White Stripes and other stuff in the same vein but I would like to be able to pull off some sweet sounding melodies like the chillis. I'm in a rush right now but I think I asked my question. Thanks for the replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yes, the SG will do that. Frusciante uses an SG from time to time does he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I know he's used a Les Paul from time to time, but I don't know about an SG. It does have a lovely clear cutting sound though, so it'd do what you like I imagine. Trying one's your best bet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

He used one in the Fortune Faded video, as to whether he actually used it...
    63965468.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

At your level of playing, any half-decent guitar is good for playing anything. It wont be later on in your playing until you can tell the difference between guitars, but an sg would be a good, solid guitar for anything in rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

SGs are lovely man, it will do everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

i own an SG and its definitely one of my most versatile guitars. you can pull of a lot with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Graham Day

To be honest I think every famous guitarist has an SG. Savage guitar. Its like the porche of strats. I went for the les paul though cos I prefer the way they look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ***Truss Rod***

Its like the porche of strats.

ehh????!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

i freckin love s.g's man...possibly the best guitars u can buy!..there such a nice shape and have a great sound outta em...worth the money definately weather ur a beginner or a experienced guitariist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i've played a few sg's, sucks in comparison to a strat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

I don't know about other albums, but I definitely read that he played an SG in places on By The Way the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭booth

Ah the SG is a great guitar, madly versatile.
    Frank Zappa played one and he was one serious guitarist.

Advertisement