Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Past Irish gigs

Options
  • 13-12-2005 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

They haven't played much here in the past.
    Ireland wouldn't be high on their priority list so they probably wouldn't include a Dublin date on their tour for their new album next year would they?

How many gigs have they done in Ireland down through the years? Maybe eight or so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Not sure how many they've done but I'd say eight is a generous estimate. I've seen them here twice, once in 1982 on the For Those About To Rock tour, when they played two nights, and the last time they were here in 1996 on the Ballbreaker tour, when I think they only played one night. I know they did at least one night here on The Razor's Edge tour around 1990, possibly one gig between FTATR and razor's Edge, and they were definitely here at least once while Bon Scott was still alive (man, what I would give to have been at that gig!)

I would say they will tour here with the next album as a) they missed us on the Stiff Upper Lip tour, and b) the rumours are that this will be the last mega-tour, and possibly the last tour altogether.

OK, found some information on a fan site. They've played a total of six gigs in Dublin, plus three in Belfast (a fourth Belfast gig was cancelled).

20th/21st August 1979 - Olympic ballroom, Dublin (the legendary Bon Scott gig)
    23rd/24th August 1979 - Ulster Hall, Belfast

21st/22nd October 1982 - RDS, Dublin (these are the original dates, but in fact the date on the 21st was moved to the 23rd, which was the night I saw them blow the roof off the place!)

26th April 1991 - Point, Dublin
    27th April 1991 - King's Hall, Belfast

25th June 1996 - King's Hall, Belfast (the cancelled gig, according to the site, no reason given)
    26th June 1996 - RDS, Dublin (again, this is what the site says, but I was at this gig and it was definitely in the Point).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

blastman wrote:
    OK, found some information on a fan site. They've played a total of six gigs in Dublin, plus three in Belfast (a fourth Belfast gig was cancelled).

25th June 1996 - King's Hall, Belfast (the cancelled gig, according to the site, no reason given)
    26th June 1996 - RDS, Dublin (again, this is what the site says, but I was at this gig and it was definitely in the Point).

AFAIK the Belfast gig was cancelled due to poor ticket sales (both in Belfast in Dublin) and so tickets for the Belfast gig were valid in Dublin. I had a one but couldn't make the amalgamated show

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

el tel wrote:
    AFAIK the Belfast gig was cancelled due to poor ticket sales (both in Belfast in Dublin) and so tickets for the Belfast gig were valid in Dublin. I had a one but couldn't make the amalgamated show

Really?
    That doesn't sound right.
    I always though they were hugely popular.

And this time every year there's always around a million people screaming for them to play Slane!

To be fair, I think they've become more popular again is recent years, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't sell out the King's Hall even then. They like their rock in Belfast!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

If there is to be a tour it will be sold out in no time. I for one wouldn#t hope to see them over here. It is usually best to secure tickets wherever they play and travel there. UK is close

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

blastman wrote:
    To be fair, I think they've become more popular again is recent years, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't sell out the King's Hall even then. They like their rock in Belfast!

There definitely has become a huge resurgence in ACDC's popularity in recent years. Back in 1996 many people were proclaiming rock and metal as dead. Apart from being mega, I don't know what has made ACDC so much more commonly and mainstream popular.

The fact that Belfast tickets were valid for the Dublin gig adds some credence to the idea that taket sales were poor. (Otherwise how could everyone have fitted into the Point - the King's Hall has a very decent capacity).

It would be great if the rekindled interest in ACDC spawned a new tour. But given the fact that when they toured the UK in 2000 they didn't bother coming over to Ireland I wouldn't hold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northside Punk

first concert i was at was ac/dc at the point in 1996 and it was class,

they played some gigs in glasgow and manchester in 2000 but never came over here. if they dont this time ill be going to england definitley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jen_ring

ok isawthe title and i and i had to reply, i absolutely love ac/dc!!! but im afraid ive naver had the pleasure of going to one of there concerts....whats this about them coming to ireland again...please fill me in....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rumour has it that they are being lined up for Slane next year.

• Advertisement

Are you sure that wasn't last year? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

That rumour has been on the go for a while now and it probably just wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I heard that back in 2003, so yes, it has been going a few years.

Advertisement