Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignorant drivers in Donegal

Options
  • 13-12-2005 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭

As a county native but living in Dublin, I'm appalled when visiting home at how ignorant people are at letting you out from a side road when traffic is busy in Letterkenny. In Dublin you always get a chance to slip into traffic as everyone is inevitably in the same boat - if there are say cars coming on to the M50 then they are let filter at every second car - it's almost like an unwritten rule.

It is simply incredible how different it is and I'm almost ashamed. Does anyone living there notice it or is it just part an parcel of life today and everyone is used to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

What really annoys me is people not dipping their full beams when they can see your lights before they turn the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I find Donegal drivers are distinctly better than in Belfast (although still not of Dublin standard).

Indicating does occur to them, which is nice, but theres still a lot of incorrect usage of roundabouts going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

Driving in the town recently when the guy infront of me brakes hard to let a 18 wheeler out, needless to say i made contact with him but no damage was occured. I'm all for karma when driving but some people are idiotic, when you do stop to let people out they look at you like a sheep, ive given up around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What I hate most about being out on the road are women drivers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I have to say I think people are actually pretty good at letting people out of side roads. I see it every morning at the end of long lane, people always let a car out before going on.
    Also on the main street people are very good at letting parked cars out and letting people cross the road.
    The roundabouts at oatfield and quinsworth are unbelievable. I detest the people who insist on sitting on the roundabout, blocking traffic, so they don't miss their turn to get into the shopping centre. It makes my blood boil:mad: and the worst thing is, it's true, most of them are women!

I also hate driving on back roads at night with vans sitting right behind you with their lights blinding you because they are higher up.
    and.....
    and.....
    i could do this all day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

the ignoramuses who take the right hand lane approaching roundabouts (esp hospital) and then go straight ahead speeding up and cutting in in front of the cars in the correct left lane so they get to the exit first...

the school buses that just go where they like when they like, there's one twat that stops at no junction on his run around town, just goes straight on through looking straight ahead...

dangerous drivers who think they have the right of way at obstructions and pull into the opposite lane, speeding up if you're coming in the opposite direction so they can get back in again without hitting you...

but what really gets me is the sad, sick and sorry individuals who feel so inadequate about their cars/themselves that they have to show us their superdooper racer foglights no matter what the weather..

definitely agree with jimmy, it's maybe ok when traffic is crawling, but if there's a stream of steadily moving traffic it can take ages to get out sometimes...

rant over (taking long slow deep breaths... and calm) :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Heh, have to agree with ye on both the Hospital and Oatfield roundabouts. They both can be hell. Worst is the Oatfield one though, with people sitting ON the roundabout with no way out, just hoping somebody will let them slide through. This makes it awkward for everybody, as they block more traffic than they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

The guys that wash their car every day and drive in the middle of narrow roads to avoid puddles just as I'm coming toward or passing them.
    Also the eejits with kids unbelted in the front or/and back.
    Likewise the many who must think they are saving by not lighting-up during dim mornings and evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I light up all the time TBH - it never really hurts

Advertisement