Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch is about to go!

Options
  • 12-12-2005 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Just had car serviced and my mechanic told me the clutch is about to go and i need a new one! god damn it! coming up to Xmas and all!

I hear this is a big job... a days work? My usual mechanic doesnt have time to do it before Xmas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What sort of car is it? A clutch is a reasonably big job on your average FWD car. Some cars are worse than others eg I belive the mk1 Mondeo is a bad one, whereas some Opels have a cartridge type clutch and changing it is supposed to be a trivial matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

sorry ... its a Hyundai Accent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

yeah what car is it ? do you noticed any clutch problems?

yea i have noticed the revs going up a bit when taking off (was reading about this on another post - yipee the search funtion is back! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

sorry ... its a Hyundai Accent

didn't see that one:o

according to Hyundai this will take 2hrs +parts should be around 250 yoyo's in total

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The easy way to test your clutch is put your car in forth gear, rev the engine gently to about 2000 rpm, let the clutch out quickly.
    If the car cuts out your clutch is fine, if it moves off your in trouble.
    The idea being if your clutch is good it will bite well, and stall the engine.
    If it's bad, it will slip and allow the drive to be taken up.

Well so far i got prices from various people ranging from €290 to €450!! pays to shop around! :)

just another quick query..

when you get a quote for a clutch.. i presume the pressure plate itself should also be replaced and the quote should include this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey Guys,

different but related question here... it seems there are 2 versions of clutch that go in a 99 Hyundai Accent because apparently they changed the clutches they were using half way through the year...

anyone have any idea how i would find out which one is in mine? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

you can use the chassis / engine numbers. this will let any hyundai garage look it up to see when it was made and what clutch was in it originally

great thanks Con_316

have it booked in for early next week to get it done! its amazing the difference in quotes you get for this kind of job! €290, €390, €450... all to fit a 3 piece OEM clutch to the same car!

This is why i dont like dealing with garages!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

have it booked in for early next week to get it done! its amazing the difference in quotes you get for this kind of job! €290, €390, €450... all to fit a 3 piece OEM clutch to the same car!

This is why i dont like dealing with garages!!!

name & shame ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

different but related question here... it seems there are 2 versions of clutch that go in a 99 Hyundai Accent because apparently they changed the clutches they were using half way through the year...
    I had exactly the same problem when replacing the clutch on my '72 Citroën DS over christmas. Of course, I needed to order the parts for both from Holland and ship the "wrong" one back :(

ciarsd wrote:
    name & shame ;)

well the cheapest was from friction.ie in Ballymount.. good price but a bit awkward for me to get to..

the most expensive was a hyundai dealer...

Well i finally got the clutch replaced... was grand for the first 40 miles or so... now there seems to be a click/knocking sound under the passenger side floor area..

at first i thought it was when i took foot off the clutch... but it seems random enough now... one single 'knock' sounds when slowing down in 3rd or 2nd gear!!!

anyone any idea what this might be ? looks like ill have to bring it back!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

id dump the accident i mean accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno the layout of your cars oily bits but it sounds like either the cluch cable slapping off the bodywork or possibly something that had to be loosened/removed to change the clutch and it has'nt been properly secured. Open the bonnet and have a peer around the back of the engine bay with torch and underneath.

Mike.

Advertisement