Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray on Lagging Jacket?

Options
  • 12-12-2005 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Is there any such thing as spray foam that i can use for a lagging jacket on my hot water cylinder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Jimmy,

there is a foam lagging for a cylinder, but is sprayed on at the factory. I have never seen it done insitu. I would imagine it would be extremely messy.
    A good well fitted jacket would be the handiest option for you and the cylinder to keep you both warm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Most hardware shops have cans of expanding foam, which sprays out through a tube and expands to several times it's size. This would probably be ideal for the purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Jimmy,

There is a lot of detail about the type of foam used, density, etc that is why they are sent out to be sprayed, it takes a lot of practice to control the lance they use for the job.

You do lose a lot of heat in the hot press with foam sprayed cylinders, a good compromise is a lagging jacket and if you prefer fit a second one, they are not expensive to buy and easy to fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

You do lose a lot of heat in the hot press with foam sprayed cylinders

Hey Pete, i thought these type were the most efficient, the factory lagged cylinders?

Hi flocker,

Sorry typed it hard to read, the are so efficient they let very little heat into the hot press, it's all kept in the cylinder.

A good thing if you depend on electricity but maybe not so good if your central heating could be heating the water anyway and airing the clothes at the same time.

One of the trade offs I guess, although many of what we knew as hot presses are turning into mini plant rooms in our homes with no room for the clothes.

I'm not sure if "She who must be obeyed" would like to lose her hotpress ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Thanks Guys.
    The problem with the lagging jacket is that the space around the back is too small to get the lagging jacket around.
    If i could spray foam into it at least there would be somthing there to insulate the tank.

Hi Jimmy,

If you must use expanding foam it might be a good idea to use cling film or something similar on any pipes or valves in the area and on the wall behind the cylinder in case you have to take it out in the future.

That foam can be very strong material and cause the cylinder to bond to the floor or wall enough to cause damage in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Thanks RP. I was thinking of vaseline :) , but the lingfilm seems like a better idea.
    Now to find some of this stuff.

Advertisement