Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Biki Thingy

Options
  • 12-12-2005 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Was browsing through the Biki just there now while college-work dodging ;) and I noticed that there's no UL entry. Something to be amended? What should be written?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Well, naturally, something about BULBs.

Suggestions:
    Frequent posters
    When it was set up
    Mod
    Wee blurb about UL (size and so on)

Tell ya the truth i have a million thing i need to do before i leave the mod job here *whoops i wasnt suppose to say that*.
    I plan on leaving the mod job come May i know boohoo. Think we will need a new mod someone that is in college and comes to the beers - so get your ass to the beers people.

But yes please post up for the Biki and we can change it accordingly.

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

like me nuke :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Nukem wrote:
    Tell ya the truth i have a million thing i need to do before i leave the mod job here *whoops i wasnt suppose to say that*.
    I plan on leaving the mod job come May i know boohoo. Think we will need a new mod someone that is in college and comes to the beers - so get your ass to the beers people.

But yes please post up for the Biki and we can change it accordingly.

Nukem

mod ehhh.......

Will have a gander at the biki later on, after working

• Advertisement

I'm putting together a few notes now, any suggestions other than what I've put up?

klong wrote:
    I'm putting together a few notes now, any suggestions other than what I've put up?

"Where peopele are people and students are students."

A spell checker? ;)

Maybe rip some stuff off the proper UL wiki entry?

Obviously mention the UL board, and its more [STRIKE]spammy[/STRIKE] prominent members, somet about Nukem ruling with a diamond clad fist (Stronger then iron, not to mention more expensive)

Large ratio of comp sys nerds Vs Other courses, and the frequent, ehh arguments that ensue. Maybe links to legendary threads?

First go at it:

UL- University of Limerick

Situated in the Limerick suburb of Castletroy ("the D4 of Limerick", according to a conversation I overheard on the train once), UL is home to roughly 9,500 undergrads and postgrads. It is one of the newest universities in the country, only in existence since 1989. Prior to then it was NIHE Limerick- National Institute of Higher Education.

The UL board is frequented by a core of users such as kaimera, Rozie, Nukem (the mod to whom we bow and scrape to), 440hz, Cooperguy, Vuk and Petee. Unfortunately most of these are also CompSys types. Humanities students (the butt of many a joke from engineering types jealous of their ridiculously low hours per week, but with zero chance of a job after college) such as keevita and klong add some colour and panache to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Nukem, kaimera and co regularly try to organise meet-ups, known as BULBs- Boards UL Beers. Unfortunately these invariably turn into a CompSys night out as everybody else comes up with ridiculous excuses such as "I'm thousands of miles away- sorry". Venues have included The Stables bar in UL and hopefully soon the new Groody Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

lol. good description:D .
    ive so much panache...so much so id probably pronounce it pan-a-shay. how bout u klong?

i also like the bit about the D4 of limerick, im currently optioning a sitcom in hollywood called 'The Troy' [copyright!]. a parody of ul/castletroy residents would be broadly recieved worldwide i think. any suggestions for characters pm me!!

Well I just wanted to get my name in there somewhere :) But seriously, of the regular posters- are we the only non Comp Sys types? Surely theres others?

(editing Biki at the mo btw)

• Advertisement

I'm not comp sys.

I just pretend to be so I can with the 'in crowd' :v:

kaimera wrote:
    I'm not comp sys.

I just pretend to be so I can with the 'in crowd' :v:

A good dig in there, I like :D Ok, will try to change.

How do I create links?

edit: heres the latest go at the Biki...

UL- University of Limerick

Situated in the Limerick suburb of Castletroy ("the D4 of Limerick", according to a conversation I overheard on the train once), UL is home to roughly 9,500 undergrads and postgrads. It is one of the newest universities in the country, only in existence since 1989. Prior to then it was NIHE Limerick- National Institute of Higher Education.

The UL board is frequented by a core of users such as kaimera (not Comp Sys, I've been told), Rozie, Nukem (the mod to whom we bow and scrape to, and who rules with a diamond clad fist [Stronger then iron, not to mention more expensive]- thanks Peteee), 440hz, Cooperguy, Vuk and Petee. Unfortunately most of these are also CompSys types. Humanities students (the butt of many a joke from engineering types jealous of their ridiculously low hours per week, but with zero chance of a job after college) such as keevita and klong add some colour and panache to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Nukem, kaimera and co regularly try to organise meet-ups, known as BULBs- Boards UL Beers. Unfortunately these invariably turn into an almost all-CompSys night out (except for kaimera, who hangs round with them so he can feel part of a group, any group) as everybody else comes up with ridiculous excuses such as "I'm thousands of miles away- sorry". Venues have included The Stables bar in UL and hopefully soon the new Groody Bar.

Famous threads on the board include "Really lost in Comp Sys 3rd year...", which resulted in a free-for-all involving Rozie and the rest of Comp Sys on the board before it was eventually closed by Nukem; the one where there was a "yes there is!"/"no there isn't" row over cliques on the board; the ongoing rumours regarding Scholars pub on campus; email spammers; and apathy in UL- which, remarkably, generated replies.

edit again: heres the link... http://www.boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Board:UL

lmao. very good sir!
    :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

huzzah

Supoib, the don congratulates you!

Peteee has 3 e's by the by!

And Kaimera is in comp sys, the lying ********!

How about a section on injokes, so hta newbies can get acquainted with our clique more easily!

Peteee wrote:

How about a section on injokes, so hta newbies can get acquainted with our clique more easily!

kaimera has a lower case 'k' aswell but I don't see you adhering to that do I petee? :v:

Peteee wrote:

Spelling mistake duly noted and allowances taken for, ahem, "untruths" ;)

Still haven't figured out how to insert links though :confused:

edited for links :)

kaimera wrote:
    edited for links :)

Thank-you!

Is it internal or external links, for future reference?

internal for users and boards already in the biki,

external for http:// links

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Better add to the section on the beers that they frequently end up with me going to the Lodge. Well not the last time anyway but before that it usually ended in a trip there. Tbh I'm surprised Peteee or kaimera haven't already suggested it :)

Cheers
    Rory

rmacm wrote:
    Better add to the section on the beers that they frequently end up with me going to the Lodge. Well not the last time anyway but before that it usually ended in a trip there. Tbh I'm surprised Peteee or kaimera haven't already suggested it :)

Cheers
    Rory

f1x0r3d :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

Well done Klong & Co. on the UL biki!
    I'll refrain from any [STRIKE]injokes[/STRIKE], as my fingers are too numb from the cold to type!
    Yous are all now honorary comp_sys nerds, congrats:p

Oh and LOL @ The Troy©, brilliant!!

:v:

Klong that is outstanding work!!!!! Kudos to you. I must sit down and do a little but im just in from colege and the head is like a melon from stupid irrelevant info i will never use again.

Can someone please draw up a little on the "in jokes" :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

for the record.... i am NOT a 'comp sys' person either. I am not in 3rd comp sys and I never did the course here.
    AS IF!! I'm far too important and great for that course

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

What's going to happen to this forum when all these comp sys people graduate?
    Who then will keep us lurkers amused with their anecdotes and humerous badly-syntaxed code?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I'll still be here... to keep the place lively.

Cos everything I say is so entertaining of course!!

• Advertisement

You can take the comp syser outta UL.........

Advertisement