Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing to a studless partition..

Options
  • 12-12-2005 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, as the title suggests Im trying to fix something to a partition wall that doesnt have any studs...
    The wall is basically a prefabricated section, consisting of two plasterboard sheets with cardboard wafers/stiffeners in between.
    I want to install a 10KG flatscreen on the wall and the only way I can see to do it (other than build a new wall) is as follows

I have access to the other side of the wall as its about to be tiled so I am going to open a potion of the wall and no more nails/glue in a 6x6 piece of timber in the area I want the tv to be.
    Once this is dry I am going to screw through from the other side and hope it holds.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Whats size is a 10kg TV. I have a 14" portable on a stand hanging off platerboard with these fixings p1395505_l.jpg

Moere detail here

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah I have some of them, both the plastic and the metal ones
    Two issues I have
    1) not sure will it be string enough
    2) the holes in the wall plate are quite large so I would probably need a washer of some sort, unless you can get those plugs in larger sizes?
    ( the ones I have are for a No 6 screw, the bracket needs at least an 8)

thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you have access to the other side why do you not fix a stud where you need to?
    It would make a lot more sense than trying to bodge up solution.
    better yet put in two studs and a ground for the tv.

I was hoping to avoid having to take out a large section of the plasterboard (in the bathroom).
    I had contemplated chasing out a section, fitting a stud and then covering back up, but it seems like a lot of hassle...
    Deckie, how secure does your TV feel?
    Im guessing a flatscreen ( 15inch) flat to the wall has far less pull that a 14inch hanging off an arm...
    I might just try the plasterboard fixings, was contemplating hooking up some sort of chain behind the wall up to the joist/rafter in case of accidents...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

GreeBo wrote:
    Deckie, how secure does your TV feel?

There most be alot of pressure on it as its the 2 arm type stand, I wouldn't go swinging out of it but its been there 6 months. :)

I wouldn't have a second thought about hanging a 15" flat screen off these, use washers if you have to and get as many fixings in as possible (maybe 4)
    I use the alimimun fixings its amazing what they will hold.
    ( A carpenter told me that alot of lads hang raditors with them.

Dec

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YAPP

confusia he say;
    why try to hang a big weight of s fixings,
    support big weight off of many smaller ones.

Fit a plywood sheet to the wall, (smaller section size than flat screen)
    with multiple fixings,
    then fix flat scren to new 'supported panel'

[; spreading the weight over the bigger area on smaller screws]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

YAPP wrote:
    confusia he say;

with multiple fixings,

one thing....if u do it this way the load bearing on the plasterboard will still be the same...ie....over time and i mean years the plasterboard could very well be pulled away from the fixings that hold the sheet of plasterboard on to the outer studwork....best and safe way is not to take the chance and try and put in a length or two of say 4*4 timbers runing horizontaly across at the hightof where u want to hang the tv...

GreeBo is there any studs at the edges of the partition u can place the 4*4's across?

i would not risk a 1000+ euro tv on plasterboard fixings... over time they will loosenup and if not installed right will only be loose fixings....

one other idea is to rip down said partition and put up a studwork urself and just screw fresh plasterboards down and tape and joint it ( ie... special mesh tape and some filler/skimcoat) easy to do and looks professional...at leat u would know the tv would stay up!;)

YAPP wrote:
    confusia he say;

with multiple fixings,

Thats what I Was going for by fixing the plank behind the plasterboard and then screwing into that...

There are "studs" where the sections meet, but they are a couple of feet either side of where we want the TV (the middle, naturally) so I would be doing a lot of chasing....Im also worried about cutting large holes into the plasterboard and removing large amounts of the cardboard stiffener, dont want to lose integrity and the plasterboard wont be able to be fixed to my "new" studs...

stag39 wrote:
    one other idea is to rip down said partition and put up a studwork urself and just screw fresh plasterboards down and tape and joint it ( ie... special mesh tape and some filler/skimcoat) easy to do and looks professional...at leat u would know the tv would stay up!;)
    already did that on one wall, I think Id be kicked out if I started it again in the bedroom
    Id love to take down all the internals walls and do them "properly", ahwell:(

Advertisement