Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox RAM and Hard-Drive Upgrade

Options
  • 11-12-2005 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

What is the Max I can increase my Xbox RAM (Chipped with an Xecuter 3 Chip) and also have a 180GB HDD and want to increase to 500GB Can it be done ??.

Oh yeah is it difficult to change the RAM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It is very difficult to upgrade the ram, lots of soldering. AFAIK the max you can upgrade to is 128mb and it will only affect emulators and linux running on the xbox.

You can upgrade to a 500gb drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Also, you cant upgrade the RAM on newer (V1.6) xboxes as the holes for the extra RAM are not on the new boards. The main reason that I'd like extra RAM is for playing high-def divx files in XBMC but as ciaranc said, there's not much else that uses it and it involves desoldering a 64MB RAM chip from some old Nvidia card and then soldering it onto the xbox...apparently even de-soldering the chip is very difficult.

500GB gives you two large partitions (F and G) but none of them will exceed the 250GB limit per partition so you should be okay with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The soldering isn't *that* difficult, given high-quality tools, a steady hand and inhuman patience. You'd be better off buying the chips.
    I've considered upgrading mine, but it's a 1.6b, so I'm fúcked.

You can also upgrade the cpu, but that's a hell of alot more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

If you wish you can use a dual hard drive mod the link is

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Mods/extra_harddrive.htm

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

SyxPak, you can mod the 1.6b... X2.6 or X3 with flashbios 3.03

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

he was talking about upgrading the RAM on a 1.6 which cant be done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Yeah good luck upgrading the ram.
    I tried twice, with good quality tools, and I am well use to soldering, bloody impossible.

You can get an attachment for soldering irons/or the tool itself that remove solder from around the chip at once (different sizes for different chips) though these are pretty expensive professional tools i.e. not worth it for 64mb ram extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You could bring the motherboard to a professional PCB rework house to have the old RAM removed and replaced. This would be done in a re-flow oven quite quickly. It might be more expensive than it's worth though.

As has been said, the hard disk upgrade should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The benefits of a ram/cpu upgrade don't seem warranted to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I thought I mentioned this earlier, but you don't have to remove any chips, just buy a sample quantity of eight off a component supplier and solder them on - that being the hard part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement