Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sax Rescource

Options
  • 10-12-2005 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any decent online sax rescources, with lessons, techniques etc?

Cheers
    Fusion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Try www.saxlessons.com

It's quite good. Are you playing the sax now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Daddio wrote:
    Try www.saxlessons.com

It's quite good. Are you playing the sax now?

Indeed I am haha, I've always love the sax so I went out on Sat and bough myself an Alto :)

Fusion

Nice one, what make did ya get? I hadn't seen that site before but had a look the other day, it's fairly handy.

Daddio wrote:
    Nice one, what make did ya get? I hadn't seen that site before but had a look the other day, it's fairly handy.

It's this one:

http://fr.bizrate.com/buy/noncat_prod_details__nwylf--,oid--343557535.html

Pretty nice. Do you play sax?
    I'm starting some lessons on Thursday...it's cool starting a new instrument when you know exactly what you want to play on it and you have a good theoretical knowledge...I can play some Parker heads already haha.

Fusion

Damn ye with your theoretical knowledge :D! Still trying to learn improv theory now, there's always more to learn though. Been playing sax for nearly 2 years now, started from scratch. It's definitely an advantage to be able to read etc. before learning a new instrument.

If you want some more to keep you busy this guy has some nice sample transcriptions, especially Dexter Gordon's Cheesecake. It's for tenor though but you could transpose it:

http://www.saxsolos.com/page5.html

Nice sax btw , nice enough price too.

• Advertisement

Yeah just started some lessons today, I've written out the Giant Steps solo when I was learning it on guitar so that will be my side project but for now I reckon the best thing is to get a really solid technique..I got the worst strap in the world with the sax & crap reeds so I gotta go buy that stuff on Saterday and get my self off on the right foot!

Cheers for the link!
    Fusion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

where are you getting the lessons and how much if you dont mind me askin? i got an alto there last month and want to start lessons for the new year.

-Funk

http://www.paulryanmusic.com go to the teachers section.

I get lessons in Dalkey with Bernard Wattelet, he's really good, lessons are €25 and well worth it.

Cheers
    Fusion

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I've always loved the sax.
    I'd love to learn how to play it.
    Have I left it too late to start though? I'm 21.
    Would it be an expensive thing to learn? They're dear enough to buy aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

aw wrote:
    I've always loved the sax.
    I'd love to learn how to play it.
    Have I left it too late to start though? I'm 21.
    Would it be an expensive thing to learn? They're dear enough to buy aren't they?

You're never too old.
    Expensive? To buy a new student alto, about 700 yoyos. Tenor about a grand. Could also buy second hand. Tend to find more available after Christmas and during summer before new terms begin.
    Paul Ryan also does a rent/buy deal. I'm not sure of the financial details, but you rent for 3 months and have the option to buy the sax or walk away. Have lessons organised before you do this so as not to waste your time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement