Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virus help avg

Options
  • 10-12-2005 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

need technical help,,but im not very technical,,,

i ran avg and it detected, Trojan Generic KMT, 75 objects infected,problem is when i restart the pc and run avg again it's still there, avg doesnt seem to be dealing with the problem,

any ideas please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Get Hitman Pro and run it, it sounds like something is embedded in the registry. AVG will remove the instance that is running, but once the PC reboots, the Registry will re-install the virus/trojan.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Run some anti spyware too. Spybot, Adware, XCleaner etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hitman pro runs about 6 of them, including all the main ones, Spybot, Adware etc etc... Hence me suggesting it.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

already ran spybot and ad-aware,,its still there,might try hitman pro, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Try booting windows into Safe mode and then run AVG again.

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote:
    Try booting windows into Safe mode and then run AVG again.

you might have to walk me through that process,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Assuming its Windows XP, start pressing F8 repeatedly after the initial BIOS message and memory test (when the system starts reading boot information from the hard drive), but before the Windows Logo is displayed (if you see the logo you were too late).

if you get it right, you will get a DOS menu of boot options , one of which is Safe mode. Select that and the computer will boot, but the display should be low-resolution and blocky. I think there's also text saying "Safe mode" in the corner (but that might only be in earlier versions of windows).

You can then run try running a full scan with AVG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭kmurphy

try zone alarm i found it better than all the rest all in one and very effective hope it gets sorted for ya

sorted,thanks for the help.. i read somewhere that its better to disable system restore before running adware spybot and agv and enable it after the all clear, anyone got views on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Ha,was just about to tell you that system restore should be off.

It's best place to hide a virus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement