Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallery

Options
  • 10-12-2005 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Post pictures of your work here.

To upload your pictures, go to www.imageshack.us, click "browse" and find your image, click "host it" and wait for it to upload. You will be taken to a page with a number of different codes. Copy the second code "Thumbnail for forums (1)" and paste it into your reply to this thread. Repeat to upload more.

The result will be a thumbnail link to your picture like below:
    oilstone027zf.th.jpg

However, this is not the full size image, to link to the full size image with thumnail forum picture, follow the above steps and once you have pasted the code into the forum, return to imageshack code page and copy the very bottom code "direct link to image", return to boards.ie and highlight the link after URL= and before the end bracket ] and then paste the direct link url. You will now have the same thumbnail picture for the forum but it will link to the full size image like below:
    oilstone028nf.th.jpg untitled8qk.th.jpg

Alternatively you can upload your images to boards.ie by using the "Manage Attachments" button below the reply screen. However this option will not provide a thumbnail image and also has limits as to the size of the file you can upload.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ah ha! A gallery, ok, here goes, a few of my creations..MOOHAHAHA...:D

picture142rss9me.th.jpg
    'Honour and Glory Crowning Time'

picture146rs5as.th.jpg
    Hand made pine cabinet and small bedside locker

picture143rs1hp.th.jpg
    My Junior Cert project, mixture of Ash and Mahogany dedicated to the Irishmen who fought and died in WW2 and other conflicts.

picture148rs2fj.th.jpg
    Grandaughter clock

picture147rs6sk.th.jpg
    Curio Cabinet.

Jeez, I better stop with the pics now ;) ..

Enjoy,

CroppyBoy1798

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Come on, we need more additions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

I haven't posted anything before I run a commercial shop and machines are used as much as possible, this means that I wouldn't be hand carving anything because I find it too time consuming...

I've been making furniture for eighteen months and so I'd expect to improve significantly over the coming years although I consider myself very competent now...

The picture here is of a display cabinet, the reason I like it is because it's relatively detailed compared to the items I usually make, it looks good in the customers house and the customer is very pleased. I feel the doors are nicely made, both the glass doors and the raised panel doors below...
    (I use a glass person to make and decorate the panes and for glass shelving, I haven't given his name as I haven't spoken to him about it)
    I'm well aware that nicer work is being done everyday but I'm always looking for improved techniques and innovative machines and never think I've come to the best possible...

thumbnail
    tn_Dresser-Upper-Glass-Section.jpg

link to large image, click me!

link to second image, click me too!

I find a cabinet like that will take about 25-35 hours from start to finish (starting with 8'x4' laminated Pine panels), including getting supplies, making the cabinet, doors and drawers, spray finishing the cabinet inside and outside and delivering it...

Cheers
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

wardrobe7oy.th.jpg

Made this last winter.

Here's a little carving I've been working on:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Nice work there guys . keep it coming.

Kadman

Here is a lamp shade I made in stain glass. I also carved the lamp base from a snooker leg I got off Karl Timber:D
    d0zt.th.jpg

Here is a better picture of the hand:
    untitled3bl.th.jpg

anyone know what wood it is?

clock0hm.th.jpgclockzoom7oc.th.jpg

That's a hand chip carved clock with my own design, the name of the wood escapes me!

My brother has one of these*. They allow some pretty nice object photography. That's their purpose after all. :) First time I've used it tonight.

*jaysus, it took me about 5 minutes to fix that link, well, whatever the time from the posted to last edited time is, don't know what's wrong with me, I need bed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Very nice Cormie, me likes it :) . Nice, simple, crisp and clean, good work!

CroppyBoy1798

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Very nice Cormie! What's the wood? Getting the carving that neat close to the circular bit in the middle must have been pretty difficult alright.

BTW the link should be cubelite, not cubelight :)

• Advertisement

that's hilarious, I can't believe after all that I put in the wrong link:D

Thanks for the compliments.

I forget what wood it was unfortunately. Perhaps somebody else will be able to tell?

Here's a nice Ash bowl I just finished today. It's an unusual shape, but I think it works. Turning it was PITA at the start because of the imbalance created by the heavy heartwood on one side and the much lighter sapwood on the other, but luckily it got better as hollowing progressed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I m strongly tempted to ban the lot of you ...collectively:eek: :eek:

For being so damn expert and concientous with your woodwork projects......I,m so damn proud I feel like crying:p :p:p

Good stuff guys

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Suppose this is as valid here as in the instruments thread. I made this for my leaving cert construction studies project.

Woods for the body are 2 types of mahogany, maple and walnut. The neck is Mahogany and Ebony. It was finished with about a thousand grades of sandpaper (up to I think about 1200 grit), 0000 grade wire wool, then danish oil and wax.
    dscf00704wc.th.jpg dscf00777vq.th.jpg dscf00726gy.th.jpg
    My pride and joy. :)

That's really nice, especially the headstock! Just one question though ... is the danish oil and wax finish usual for musical instruments? I'd have thought that given all the wear and tear they'd receive that a good number of coats of a hard lacquer would be more appropriate?

I know what you mean about the sandpaper though. The oil finish I use on a lot of my turnings requires wet sanding going down the grits all the way to 2000! I think the skin of my hands is rougher than that stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Yeah the usual finish on a guitar would be a thousand or so (about 20/30) coats of nitrocellulose . I wanted to keep the natural finish and feel so I went for the oil and wax. Needless to say I don't plan on it getting thrown around so I think for the sake of the feel of it the wax was well worth it.

I think I had up to 1800 grit but just couldn't get that far. Ordinary paper is rougher than 2000 grit :D

Advertisement