Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RC truck advice

Options
  • 10-12-2005 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a RC monster truck and the best (looking) ive found so far is the Tamiya TXT-1. Battery powered with a top speed of 5mph. I'm not sure how fast that is in application as ive never owned a high-end RC car.

Firstly, is there anywhere in dublin that does Tamiya RC or even online that delivers here?

Anyone know about this particular truck, or maybe convince me to get a different one? I'm set on that so far as i think the t-maxx and a lot of others look horribly proportioned.

Any advice welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

gs39t wrote:
    ...with a top speed of 5mph..
    ...I'm set on that so far as i think the t-maxx and a lot of others look horribly proportioned....
    Heh. You might not like the look of the T-Maxx but it'll see your 5mph and raise you 40!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gs39t

I'd imagine something that small would set the tyres on fire at 40mph :eek: I'm looking for something that would be as fun to hammer around the back garden as a big field, would a 40mph machine be more suited to the latter?

Where sells them? Must check them out now anyway :D

Yeah, you need a bit of space to get the most out of it. A back garden definitely wouldn't suffice. The sticky at the top will give you all the links you need, namely modelsport.co.uk for buying online and green hobby and model for a brick & mortar shop in Dubland.

Thanks

After a bit more reading i appear to be leaning to the T-maxx!

Is it hard to get fuel? The truck doesnt come with a controller or batteries according to a few sites - what the total "start-up" cost of one of these roughly? Truck, controller, batteries, fuel, etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

hey muckwarrior......take to the sky and try the magnium r from weston uk, it will see your 40mph and raise another 160....:D

• Advertisement

It should come with a controler. Well mine did anyway. Basically what you need is a battery & charger for the EZ start a couple of packs of AA's, glue for the tyres, fuel (which you won't get online), and 1 or 2 spare glowplugs (as the break in is likely to feck it up, (wish I knew that before I got mine :o )).

syl77 wrote:
    hey muckwarrior......take to the sky and try the magnium r from weston uk, it will see your 40mph and raise another 160....:D
    But is it 4WD? :rolleyes:

Where can you get the fuel?

gs39t wrote:
    Well in Dubland: the aforementioned green hobby & model or the Model shop on Capel st.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

gs39t wrote:

I think Halfords in Dublin sell Nitro as well ;)

For your own peace of mind... Do NOT dissapoint yourself with the tamiya... Get the T-Maxx :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

vectra wrote:
    ... Get the T-Maxx :D

'nuff said.:cool:

The sticky at the top will give you all the links you need, namely modelsport.co.uk for buying online and green hobby and model for a brick & mortar shop in Dubland.

How are modelsport? They seem to have good prices and all the bits in stock - anyone used them?

gs39t wrote:
    How are modelsport? They seem to have good prices and all the bits in stock - anyone used them?
    Yeah, I got my tmaxx from them and a few parts. Never had any bother. Usually get my parts off ebay now though. Works out cheaper.

Modelsport are spot on ;)
    I have been using them for near a year and a half.
    Excellent comms with them.:D

Nowadays I seem to head for Ebay for most of my stuff or else some of my buddies in the UK.

Thanks for the advice and recommending modelsport - i already have my t-maxx! :eek: It was delivered so fast ive been caught off guard and dont have any fuel!

Fuel can be got here
    green hobby & model or the Model shop on Capel st.
    or
    Halfords I think sell nitro as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Boyz Toys out in Santry in Dub sell nitro too.
    I'm awaiting delivery of a savage from Modelsport myself, any day now :-) the order says shipped, but I'm not sure how long it usually takes :/

Advertisement