Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueface + Smart + Keeping you number

Options
  • 09-12-2005 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

i was wondering if it was possible to port my number to blueface and order smart broadband then port my number to smart from blueface?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

I could be wrong but I think you can only port to/from Eircom. Could be wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

You need to transfer your number back to eircom, you can read more here

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

So there is no way of keeping my eircom number if i move to smart or even forward my eircom number to my new number or voicemail?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Port your current number to Blueface, wait until thats done, then get smart to transfer your line with the new number.

How long that takes is beyond me but its a way atleast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

irishguy wrote:
    So there is no way of keeping my eircom number if i move to smart or even forward my eircom number to my new number or voicemail?
    The current state of porting in the fixed line Irish Telcommunications Industry is that you can mostly only port to/from Eircom and not between two different providers. So for example to get from BT to Smart you would have to port from BT to Eircom and then from Eircom to Smart.

There are lots of other things wrong with the process as well: takes anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks, is a paper system, costs €50 a pop, if you get an a number wrong on the account code/telephone number/account name it's back to the start of the queue, I could go on...

In your partciular case I see no reason you couldn't port your number to Smart apart from the fact that they say you can't :). Smart could port your number from Eircom the same as any other operator can. You would then have no number on your Eircom analogue line but you might be able to talk Smart into delivering your incoming calls via their smart076 VoIP service. After the number is ported and the time comes to get Smart Broadband and unbundle the line the number would already be off it and Eircom shouldn't be able to use whatever reason they currently do for saying they can't unbundle and port at the same time.

All of the above is conjecture but what is not is the fact that porting your number to Blue Face, as a means of getting it to Smart, would mean you would need to do three ports and take a minimum of 3 months and thats if things went smoothly.

Aaron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

aaronc wrote:
    The current state of porting in the fixed line Irish Telcommunications Industry is that you can mostly only port to/from Eircom and not between two different providers. So for example to get from BT to Smart you would have to port from BT to Eircom and then from Eircom to Smart.

There are lots of other things wrong with the process as well: takes anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks, is a paper system, costs €50 a pop, if you get an a number wrong on the account code/telephone number/account name it's back to the start of the queue, I could go on...

In your partciular case I see no reason you couldn't port your number to Smart apart from the fact that they say you can't :). Smart could port your number from Eircom the same as any other operator can. You would then have no number on your Eircom analogue line but you might be able to talk Smart into delivering your incoming calls via their smart076 VoIP service. After the number is ported and the time comes to get Smart Broadband and unbundle the line the number would already be off it and Eircom shouldn't be able to use whatever reason they currently do for saying they can't unbundle and port at the same time.

All of the above is conjecture but what is not is the fact that porting your number to Blue Face, as a means of getting it to Smart, would mean you would need to do three ports and take a minimum of 3 months and thats if things went smoothly.

Aaron

Thanks for the info i must give Smart a ring on monday and see what they can do for me. Would be really handy if i could keep my number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jakeyb

So what happens if you have already ported ure number to Blueface and want to get Smart BB?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

jakeyb wrote:
    So what happens if you have already ported ure number to Blueface and want to get Smart BB?
    Last time I came across a situation like this the person was told they could not get their line unbundled if they did not have a current Eircom line. You can get your Eircom line reactivated, possibly even for free, but I think the sticking point comes when you need to get a number put on the line. Eircom apparently charge approx. €150 to allocate a new number to a line. I doubt it is possible to unbundle your line without a number as that's what Eircom use as the unique line identifier and Smart will most likely need it to provide you broadband.

Things may have changed since I last came across this though so definitely double check with Smart.

Aaron

Advertisement