Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L-Train

Options
  • 09-12-2005 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hows it goin, does any one know what the story is about the L train in limerick?? its an intercity train planned for limerick (pritty cool) but there semed to be a hault in the planning! does anyone have any idea on the progress???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

inner city, or intercity?? Cause intercity trains are on the go for .... about 100years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

didnt know what people were calling it. i suppose the L-train is as good a name for it. A feasibility study is being carried out on the line going around limerick. this was announced in transport 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

inner city, or intercity?? Cause intercity trains are on the go for .... about 100years!!!
    ya its a dart type train for limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

is there really a need for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Now, maybe it isn't essential, but in 25+ years we'll wish we had one. Towns like Ennis and Nenagh are rapidly growing as communter towns. Towns like Annacotty are on the verge of being swallowed by suburbia, whats next, a city extending to CastleConnell?

Personally I'd favour a clear city/county divide, with green belts being established and maintained, with various villages being connected to the city by a modern rail link, rather than have this constant creeping of the city towards Mungret, Annacotty etc.

A rail link that could take you from Nenagh (for example) to the city centre in 25 or so minutes would make commuting from Nenagh a far more practical, as well as removing a number of cars from the road.

We should plan the growth of the Midwest region to benefit all the major towns in East Clare, Limerick and North Tipperary, rather than continually building fresh estates on the outskirts of Limerick. If we choose to do this, I would view a modern rail link as essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

A link to shannon airport is definitely needed now, i heard some company in the UK was willing to invest about €50 in the project [it was on platform 11 a while back] They say they could make the money back in 2 years or less, that could be a bit optimistic though.
    Its a very good idea if done properly as the greater limerick area is growing fast and has alot of rail lines inplace, makes sense to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

A small commuter service in Limerick would be excellent but I think main line links ie to Galway direct to Cork should be looked at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

irishguy wrote:
    i heard some company in the UK was willing to invest about €50 in the project [it was on platform 11 a while back] They say they could make the money back in 2 years or less, that could be a bit optimistic though.

Yeah, 50 euro in two years does seem slightly optimistic. ;)

Seriously, if this service could run to the industrial estates and university as well as the city centre, it would be an incentive to people to leave their cars at home, which could help deal with congestion in town. It would have to be a fairly regular service(every 15-30 minutes at rush hour), but it would really make Limerick an easier place to get around.

It would also encourage new enterprise to invest in Limerick, and bring more people into the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

IceHawk wrote:
    It would have to be a fairly regular service(every 15-30 minutes at rush hour), but it would really make Limerick an easier place to get around

30mins at rush hour??? Thats not a regular service! Thats pointless to be running so few trains along the long (at rush hour anywho) .. in Dublin they are every 8 mins throughtout most of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

30mins at rush hour??? Thats not a regular service! Thats pointless to be running so few trains along the long (at rush hour anywho) .. in Dublin they are every 8 mins throughtout most of the day!

In dublin they have 1.5M people or more within commuting distance of it. Limerick has alot less. So every 30mins would be all we could hope for, it would work out very costly otherwise.

The main thing is a regular train service to shannon airport it gets 2.5M people a year and rising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

better to have it than not but its not really a necessity at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

yeah i reckon a regular bus service can do the job of a train like that at the moment, as long as it's very regular and has enough bus lanes - just it seems that any new rail project would cost a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

well considering what limerick got in the transport budget i think we deserve something more come on like all we got was a possible link up under the shannon and possibly a train to shannon
    and the atlanctic corridor thing oasses through limerick
    correct me please if i left out something

Advertisement