Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFI cam

Options
  • 09-12-2005 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever put a wifi camera on their radio model ? Just a thought :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Stuck a wireless pinhole camera (1.2G) on my model (plane), however found that the built in transmitter in pinhole camera was much to week....kept loosing signal. So, now have gotten separate transmitter and camera to transmit a stronger signal (300mw). Have yet to test it...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Excellent! Let me know how you get on syl it sounds interesting

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I will be following this one with much interest too.
    :cool: :cool:

sweet :-)
    I was even thinking of mounting a DV cam on one of my cars for a laugh. Getting it to stay on the bonnet will be fun indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

There's been some messing about with camera stuff in Galway, don't know if anyone's done WiFi yet, though.

Here's a video taken on top of a picojet in flight. :)

• Advertisement

That video was pretty cool :-)

Ya, that camera on the pico uses a 300mw transmitter also. You can pick up a kit (camera, transmitter, receiver and cables) for around 35 euro on ebay. All you need is a digital camcorder that supports video in (or a tv & video if at home) to record. If using it on a RC car, the 100mw pinhole camera with built in transmitter would probably do nicely......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIRELESS-COLOUR-MINI-CCTV-SPY-BABY-PINHOLE-CAMERA-UK_W0QQitemZ5643610966QQcategoryZ1468QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW....theres no sound with these models....pitty..nice to hear the engine rev during play back

Here is one from a cam mounted in the tail of a leccie glider....
    http://plawner.org/video/in_flight_video.wmv

3.5Mb download

Wow that was nice ! very smooth too.

Fobia, Syl77
    Any more info or news on this?

• Advertisement

Afraid not, have only been out to the flying club once in the past few months and...actually, there was a guy trying to get something like this working, but the range on his omni antenna on the ground wasn't near as much as you'd need..

No idea of figures for that though - I just can't let someone say my name without me replying. ;)

Fair enough - I'll do a bit of research and try to find out where it is at - from the point of choosing practical gear.

there was a guy trying to get something like this working, but the range on his omni antenna on the ground wasn't near as much as you'd need..
    Hey fobia, that was most likely me, small world! But I dont think its a range problem, more a problem with the digital Camcorder I using, as theres issues with it even at close range. The power of transmitter is 800mW so I dont realy see that as a problem but I could be wrong.
    Will try use something else instead of the camcorder (maybe this weekend) and see how I get on.
    Till Then..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

sorry...but wat exacltlyis a wifi cam, i have a cam, for models dont know awt type it is tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

NLC, ya know what wireless internet is right? well when you are using the wireles features you are connected to the net by "WiFi" and these cameras act like wifi as they are connected wirelessly, thats a pretty bad explaination of it but if you understand good if u dont, sorry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

cool, the cam i have is wireless, cam and 9v battery on model, reciever pluggd into telly, wifi?

I can't say I agree with Flunked's definition of wifi entirely, but if your camera is wireless it's probably wifi alright.

Syl77: In Galway? Hehe, small world indeed, I would have been the...possibly long haired guy with the camera..I think I had a plane out but didn't fly, have been far too busy so havent flown in an awfully long time.. :)

Good luck with it!

Well, Got a PCMCIA card for my laptop to see if I could get a better reception with the video reciever....had no look, it was worse....:mad:
    I'm determined to get it sorted, going to try a different camcorder... will keep ye posted....meanwhile have a look at the following..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4410783374249173794

He has to be a newbie....or a badly balanced plane..

videos were pretty cool tho :) that landing from the only bit of footage where he gained height and landed in what looked like a car park made me jump !

• Advertisement
Advertisement